CardDav Cant Sync Field Deletion

spmfox

Jul 21, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello, I have hit an issue which I thought was my client but now I think it might be cPanel.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Create new email account
  2. Connect CardDav client to new empty account
  3. Create contact with two phone numbers
  4. Sync
  5. Confirm all devices show correct data
  6. Delete one of the phone numbers from the new contact
  7. Sync
  8. Sync again, field will come back
In my test I used two separate Android Apps, the latest one is DAVx5. I also used CardBook in Thunderbird. All the clients seem to have no issue, the problem seems to be with the server. For sanity I tried to reproduce this in NextCloud and I could not.

I thought it was my email account, so I made a new one but that was not it. Adding fields is okay, adding contacts, editing fields seems okay, but deleting fields never actually commits to the server.

Any ideas?

arandois

Registered
May 17, 2019
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Same issue here. The issue occurs when one deletes a field from an address book entry in a client (I am also using CardBook in Thunderbird and DAVx5 in Android) and then synchronizes it against the server. The synchronization refuses to delete the field from the server and instead returns the field (server side contents) back to the client. One might find this very frustrating.

So far I have found one workaround: you can delete an email field - instead of actually trying to delete the field - by modifying the field contents in a client to contain a single '@' character only. Synchronizing this against the server results that the field is actually deleted from the server side and the field disappears upon next synchronization from all other clients as well.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find documentation, which contents/characters in other fields would result similar behavior on the server.

Further ideas?

arandois

Registered
May 17, 2019
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
The issue occurs when one deletes a field from an address book entry in a client ...
For the sake of clarity the this refers to deleting the contents of a field (editing a field and leaving it empty) on a client.

Whatever you delete on a remote client is being restored from the server the next time you synchronize. Adding new content to a previously empty field as well as editing a field (not leaving it empty) works fine.

Could this be a server configuration issue?

Any assistance is highly appreciated.