The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Case 115925] Remote DNS edited from Full Restore?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by infomaniac50, Sep 10, 2014.

1. infomaniac50

infomaniac50 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello, I am a root administrator on my server. I was wonder about the full restore functionality of WHM. I created a full backup of a cpanel account on a remote server, downloaded the file, then uploaded through FTP to a new server. When I went into the Full account restore in WHM I started to proceed with the restore process and then I saw this text.
    We don't really use cPanel for client hosting it just provides an easy way to manage a server. What I don't want is some script trying to automate a DNS change and the text above makes me wary of using it. So my question is as follows

If I proceed with the full account restore will the "Internet" still point to the old server?

Complete transfer of DNS would require a change in authoritative nameservers at the registrar level. The backup is just a copy so we can integrate it to separate code. The new account will not be live until that process is complete and we can setup custom development domains until the code has been integrated.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I don't believe that text should actually exist under this option. It won't actually connect to a remote server and make any changes (there is no location to even enter authentication details for a remote server). I've opened internal case number 115925 to report this flaw in the interface. You can safely proceed with restoring an account.

Thank you.

3. infomaniac50

infomaniac50 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Awesome I just wasn't sure what is stored in the backup. We also use WHMCS and it can control the local install with an access code so I wasn't sure what was going on there. I attached a screenshot of the interface. has some pertinent details within the image. As a reference though I have added them as text for the receiving server.

CENTOS 6.5 i686 standard – legacy WHM 11.44.1 (build 18)
    Screenshot 2014-09-11 16.35.48.png