The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Case 142505] phpMyAdmin 500 errors on copying a database

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by pkiff, Nov 26, 2014.

1. pkiff

pkiff Member

When attempting to use the "copy database" function in phpMyAdmin, I receive a 500 error. This occurs regardless of whether I am logged into phpMyAdmin as root or under a particular user account. The exact error that is logged appears in the cPanel error log, not in PHP, MySQL, Apache, or phpMyAdmin logs:
    The problem did not occur last week when I was running MySQL 5 and a different version of phpMyAdmin.

From a look at the cPanel update logs and various threads, it appears that cPanel has been trying to work with MySQL 5 and 5.5 and probably a recent cPanel update to 11.46.0 (build 17) (the recommended version on the RELEASE track) resulted in a downgrade to phpMyAdmin 4.0.10.5. But cPanel folks still need to tweak the cpanel.interface.lib.php file to work with both MySQL 5 and 5.5.

I am running MySQL 5.5.40 with cPanel 11.46 and phpMyAdmin 4.0.10.5. Can I force upgrade phpMyAdmin to 4.2.x and will that fix the problem?

Or is there some kind of tweak to my MySQL installation that I can use to fix this?

See also these other, possibly related threads:
    [Case 132253] phpMyAdmin 4.2.9 requires MySQL 5.5 but cPanel can update to 11.46 with MySQL 5.1
    Cannot copy a Database or rename it under myphpadmin using WHM as root

2. LostNerd

LostNerd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Re: phpMyAdmin copy database produces error 500 (cPanel 11.46 and phpMyAdmin 4.0.10.5 and MySQL 5.5.

You can run this command to try and run an upgrade on PHPMyAdmin But you may already be running the latest version available to cPanel...

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/bin/updatephpmyadmin --force

On a side note... If you are on a production server... Might I suggest you update your cPanel update settings to STABLE. :)

#2 LostNerd, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  3. pkiff

pkiff Member

Re: phpMyAdmin copy database produces error 500 (cPanel 11.46 and phpMyAdmin 4.0.10.5 and MySQL 5.5.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did already run a cPanel/WHM update, and think I'm running the recommended phpMyAdmin now (4.0.10.5): that's the version that is specifically cited in the change log for cPanel 11.46.0 build 17, and it appears that it is precisely the downgrade to that version which was put in place to deal with some current bugs.

But I'm unclear on what the "--force" switch does in this case. Will that upgrade phpMyAdmin beyond what cPanel recommends? If so, then I don't think I want to do that, because I may run into the same issue as cited here:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f354/canno...e-under-myphpadmin-using-whm-root-439031.html

Maybe that's good advice...though I understood that most average production servers for non-large-enterprise clients actually run RELEASE instead of STABLE, isn't that right? I don't need cutting edge versions, but I do want my production servers to run the latest versions of things and not lag behind. This is the first issue I've had with the RELEASE tier.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Internal case number 142505 has been opened to address this issue. You can monitor our change log for the inclusion of this case number:

11.46 Change Log

The current workaround is to manually backup the database using the mysqldump utility and restore it under a new name.

Thank you.

5. pkiff

pkiff Member

OK, thanks for looking into this Michael.

For those who are looking for a phpMyAdmin-only solution (in cases, for example, where you have given cPanel subaccounts access to phpMyAdmin, but not given them full shell/root MySQL command-line access), then you can achieve the same thing by using the phpMyAdmin "Export" function in place of mysqldump. Then, as Michael recommends, create a new database, and use the phpMyAdmin Import function to populate it.

6. pkiff

pkiff Member

This issue seems to have been resolved in the latest version of cPanel (11.46.0.19) released yesterday (2014-12-02).

The recommended version of phpMyAdmin has been bumped to 4.0.10.6, so I assume that resolved the issue, but I don't know for sure. The case number 142505 cited by Michael above does not appear in the Change Log, because the upgrade to phpMyAdmin was associated with another case, but I assume that case 142505 has been resolved as a byproduct of resolving case 139669:
    "[security] Fixed case 139669: Update phpMyAdmin, including CVE-2014-8959 CVE-2014-8958."

Case closed.

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, you might notice this is resolved in cPanel version 11.46.0.19:

[security] Fixed case 139669: Update phpMyAdmin, including CVE-2014-8959 CVE-2014-8958.

However, an additional resolution related to internal case number 142505 will still be addressed in a future build.

Thank you.