[Case 148469] Moving a file to a directory that contains a file with the same name fails

oldlock

Sep 19, 2008
I have to say that this problem is now a long way from being a minor issue. Software patches that used to take moments via cpanel can now take hours via FTP.

I have a ticket lodged via my host and really wish this issue would get some attention very very soon.

jacobkball

Registered
Aug 27, 2007
I have to say that this problem is now a long way from being a minor issue. Software patches that used to take moments via cpanel can now take hours via FTP.

I have a ticket lodged via my host and really wish this issue would get some attention very very soon.
This is becoming a very frustrating problem for me too. My normal workflow of uploading a CMS update zip file, extracting it in File Manager, and then trying to simply move those extracted files over onto the existing files (which has worked many many times before) now generates the FileOp error message. It's saying that the folders don't exist, when they clearly already do.

I've checked permissions and ownership, and all is fine there. Let's hope it gets fixed soon!

oldlock

Sep 19, 2008
I just had to patch another install. Hours of uploading via ftp is getting beyond a joke - any workaround for this ???

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I've made note of this forums thread within the internal case. The current workaround is still to rename the file in the directory that you are needing to move the file to before attempting the move.

Thank you.

oldlock

Sep 19, 2008
I've made note of this forums thread within the internal case. The current workaround is still to rename the file in the directory that you are needing to move the file to before attempting the move.

Thank you.
Hardly viable if you are updating software for clients with 100's or more likely many thousands of files to replace ?

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
I just had to patch another install. Hours of uploading via ftp is getting beyond a joke - any workaround for this ???
Instead of uploading the zip, unpacking and then moving the files, create a zip file you can unpack directly into the directory.

Say you were updating vBulletin for example. In the zip from vBulletin is a directory called /upload/. In it, you might remove the favicon, images directory, etc. whatever else you don't want to update. Once you've done that, and are still in that /upload/ directory, highlight all files, right click and choose Create zip, or Compress (depending on your OS). Upload that newly created zip file into your forums directory. From the File Manger select that new zip file and choose extract. This will unpack over top of the existing files. (Be sure to remove that zip file once done extracting. Its in Public_html somewhere and might be found otherwise.)

You might check your created zip file first by uploading and extracting into a test directory to make sure it works as you expect.

Or, use a proper FTP client.

HTH!

cPanelDon

cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
This issue has two components, clarified below with applicable status updates.
  • Case 148245, regarding the ability to merge entire directories: This is resolved as of development build 11.47.9999.148, and will make it into 11.48.1.x, but we've requested to back-port it into 11.48.0.x to try getting it out to you sooner.
  • Case 148469, regarding the ability to move a file into a directory that contains a file of the same name (e.g., merge/replace but just one file at a time): This specific issue is not yet fixed, but we have it in queue for further investigation.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
has this issue now been fixed? I am running 11.46.2 (build 4) and am having this issue.
No, the issue is not yet resolved. The current milestone for a resolution is set to cPanel version 11.48.2.

Thank you.