[Case 45766] System FTP users cannot authenticate in Pure-FTPd w/o cPanel account

LDHosting

Jan 19, 2008
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Would you rather they slapped something together and got it out of the door quickly only to realise that the 'fix' makes matters worse (or breaks something else) on some systems? You could then find that you are not only waiting for this bug to be fixed but also new bugs created through lack of testing.

I can understand you being upset as this is obviously causing problems for you but you just need to wait for them to test and release the fix. cPanel will correct it, just maybe not in 5 minutes as you would hope. This thread is less that 24 hours old and they already have a potential fix which they are testing.

OpenAreas

Jan 7, 2011
Hi LDHosting,

Thank you, I've submitted a ticket and I've been speaking to one of the technical managers about this. It's an unusual case. You're right, nothing worse than a bug-fix that makes the bug worse. But I'm sure you can understand the level of frustration but I agree with you.

cPanelDon

cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
The issue tracked as Case 45766 is corrected in cPanel&WHM version 11.28.71 and later. To see which update tiers have the new version please refer to the following resource: Latest cPanel/WHM Builds

A temporary workaround until affected servers are updated is to switch from Pure-FTPd to ProFTPD, which can be accomplished using "root" (Administrator) access to WebHost Manager or SSH/console, as seen below:
  • Via WebHost Manager: WHM: Main >> Service Configuration >> FTP Server Selection
  • Via SSH/console (command-line):
    Code:
    # /scripts/setupftpserver proftpd
    CLI Help/Usage Information:
    Code:
    # /scripts/setupftpserver
    Usage: setupftpserver [options] <ftpserver>

Options:
      --force                    Perform conversion even if server is already configured
      --current                  Display the currently configured FTP server

FTP Servers:
      pure-ftpd  Recommended FTP server on cPanel systems
      proftpd    Alternate FTP server
      disabled   Disable local FTP functionality

cPanelDon

Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
To have non-cPanel-account system users authenticate via Pure-FTPd, please note that it will be necessary to ensure Pure-FTPd has the "UnixAuthentication" option set to "yes" as described below.
  1. Open "/etc/pure-ftpd.conf" (in your preferred CLI text editor) and look for the following:
    Code:
    # If you want simple Unix (/etc/passwd) authentication, uncomment this
    # UnixAuthentication yes
  2. If desired, edit the entry to uncomment and enable the UnixAuthentication option; the edited configuration entry should resemble the following:
    Code:
    UnixAuthentication yes
  3. After saving your changes, verify the option is set as desired; the following command will show the current option (and if it is commented or uncommented and set to yes or no):
    Code:
    # egrep -i "UnixAuthentication.+(yes|no)" /etc/pure-ftpd.conf
  4. If /etc/pure-ftpd.conf was edited, please restart Pure-FTPd using the following command:
    Code:
    # /scripts/restartsrv_ftpserver
  5. To help ensure the customized option is retained for Pure-FTPd, I recommend updating the YAML file, used by WHM, at "/var/cpanel/conf/pureftpd/main" so that it contains a line like the following (as seen by output from grep):
    Code:
    # grep UnixAuthentication /var/cpanel/conf/pureftpd/main
    UnixAuthentication: 'yes'

OpenAreas

Jan 7, 2011
To have non-cPanel-account system users authenticate via Pure-FTPd, please note that it will be necessary to ensure Pure-FTPd has the "UnixAuthentication" option set to "yes" as described below.
  1. Open "/etc/pure-ftpd.conf" (in your preferred CLI text editor) and look for the following:
    Code:
    # UnixAuthentication yes
  2. If desired, edit the entry to uncomment and enable the UnixAuthentication option; the edited configuration entry should resemble the following:
    Code:
    UnixAuthentication yes
  3. After saving your changes, verify the option is set as desired; the following command will show the current option (and if it is commented or uncommented and set to yes or no):
    Code:
    # egrep -i "UnixAuthentication.+(yes|no)" /etc/pure-ftpd.conf
  4. If /etc/pure-ftpd.conf was edited, please restart Pure-FTPd using the following command:
    Code:
    # /scripts/restartsrv_ftpserver
  5. To help ensure the customized option is retained for Pure-FTPd, I recommend updating the YAML file, used by WHM, at "/var/cpanel/conf/pureftpd/main" so that it contains a line like the following (as seen by output from grep):
    Code:
    # grep UnixAuthentication /var/cpanel/conf/pureftpd/main
    UnixAuthentication: 'yes'
Followed it all and done without any issues.

OpenAreas

Jan 7, 2011
The issue tracked as Case 45766 is corrected in cPanel&WHM version 11.28.71 and later. To see which update tiers have the new version please refer to the following resource: Latest cPanel/WHM Builds

A temporary workaround until affected servers are updated is to switch from Pure-FTPd to ProFTPD, which can be accomplished using "root" (Administrator) access to WebHost Manager or SSH/console, as seen below:
  • Via WebHost Manager: WHM: Main >> Service Configuration >> FTP Server Selection
  • Via SSH/console (command-line):
    Code:
    # /scripts/setupftpserver proftpd
    CLI Help/Usage Information:
    Code:
    # /scripts/setupftpserver
    Usage: setupftpserver [options] <ftpserver>

Options:
      --force                    Perform conversion even if server is already configured
      --current                  Display the currently configured FTP server

FTP Servers:
      pure-ftpd  Recommended FTP server on cPanel systems
      proftpd    Alternate FTP server
      disabled   Disable local FTP functionality
Can't say i've ever used ProFTPD. Will changing it to ProFTPD effect my server in anyway? Say if i have created accounts, will it effect them? Will it effect new ones? Lastly, Will i have any issues changing back to Pure-FTPd once I've got the fix?

cPanelDon

Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Can't say i've ever used ProFTPD. Will changing it to ProFTPD effect my server in anyway? Say if i have created accounts, will it effect them? Will it effect new ones? Lastly, Will i have any issues changing back to Pure-FTPd once I've got the fix?
It is possible to perform the switch between FTP daemons at any time. Both FTP daemons, ProFTPD and Pure-FTPd, provide FTP access and each selection has unique advantages and disadvantages. The effect of using one or the other depends on how you are using FTP. Without knowing precisely how you utilize FTP access I am unable to know how using one might affect your specific applications and usage scenarios. For additional clarity I recommend reviewing the comparison that is displayed in WebHost Manager via the following menu path: WHM: Main >> Service Configuration >> FTP Server Selection