[Case 52321] Bug - Cant change ServerLimit whit MPM_Event ( Lower than Max Request Workers )

Skamasle

Mar 18, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
HI first of all sorry for my bad english.

I use apache 2.4 and mpm_event.

I try set a ServerLimit value to 40 and Max Request Workers to 100, and get this error

The following settings are invalid and were rejected:

maxclients: 100
So is the same error when try set a highest value of serverlimit than Request Workers using prefork.

But that error using prefork is normal, I understand it.

The problem here is if I set default cpanel value to apache using mpm_event I get overload, so

Code:
Serverlimit 256
Max Request Workers 150
Using event thats mean than apache can start 256 servers and each server can handle 150 request so 256 * 150 = 34800 request

I dont know if I dont understand how working mpm_Event ( but I think I undestand it )

Is like nginx workers
Code:
[B]worker_processes 1[/B]; = ServerLimit
[B]worker_connections 600[/B]; = Max Request Workers
Is something like that.

Now I say this because I have some servers whit 7k online people on analytics but are 150 to 400 req/s and apache overload the server until than I change serverlimit value

So if I do something like this:
Code:
Serverlimit 256
Max Request Workers 150
I get a lot of apache process ( 256 ) And load average go up until 150

But if I manually change that from ssh to
Code:
ServerLimit 40
Max Request Workers 400
I get only 40 I get 40 apache process, and serverload of 5 and site response is in only on 1s.

So the point is than I cant set a ServerLimit value lower than Max Request Workers I untherstand it if I use prefork but whit event I have alot of problems.

The same problem I get before whit worker, whit worker serverlimit value is very low so works similar to event, here the default mpm_worker config from apache's site:

Code:
ServerLimit         16
StartServers         2
MaxRequestWorkers  150
MinSpareThreads     25
MaxSpareThreads     75
ThreadsPerChild     25
So if you try put it vía WHM using worker you get error like this:

The following settings are invalid and were rejected:

maxclients: 150
And the last problem here is than I set Max Request Workers and cpanel say cant change maxclients

I test this on 5 servers and get same error.

I hope you understandme, I try to report a bug ( if is bug ) but dont see any bugtracker or bug report category.

Last edited:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Please submit bug reports via:

Submit A Bug Report

You can post the ticket number you are assigned to this thread and we can provide updates on the outcome.

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Yes, the workaround is to modify the "maxclients" value in the "/var/cpanel/conf/apache/local" file. Here is an example of the output of this value after modifying the file:

Code:
# grep maxclients /var/cpanel/conf/apache/local
  "maxclients":
      "maxclients": 400
Ensure the Apache configuration file is rebuilt after making the change:

Code:
/scripts/rebuildhttpdconf
Thank you.