The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Case 72777] Rotating FTP backups

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Dannymh, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Dannymh

Dannymh Member

Hi,

I have the system setup to upload the backups to the FTP through the WHM backups. THis all works fine and everything uploads to FTP. However I am now hitting the backup quota and wanted to remove some of the backups, I thought that this would have been an automated part of the backup system and that backups would be removed as the days ticked by?

As this does not appear to be the case, is there a script or way to have the older backup removed from the FTP Backup server with each new backup.

After having one site hacked 3 times last year, I now backup daily, what I would like to happen is get this down to a seven day set of backups or even just a 2 day set of backups and then simply when a new backup is initiated the oldest backup is then removed from the FTP server and replaced by the new one. That way I should theoretically be able to keep ontop of space pressure.

I have searched around but been unable to find a way to do this

Dan

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The backups should still be pruned on the remote FTP server. Please check the following log and let us know if you notice any error messages:

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup_transporter.log
    Thank you.

3. Dannymh

Dannymh Member

hmmm

Cpanel::LoggerAdapter::warn(Cpanel::LoggerAdapter=HASH(0x931ba20), 'Unable to prune: \xE2\x80\x9CCpanel::Transport::Files::_perms_str2oct\xE2\x80\x9D was given an invalid permissions string: total') called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Backup/Queue.pm line 248

but i can remove them manually via ftp with the same account

4. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

This appears to be related to an open case we have (Case# 72777) - Pruning remote backups can fail when FTP directory listing format is different than expected.

As of yet there is no fix yet available, but as soon as it is resolved, you will find the case number listed in the
    change logs.

5. bouvrie

bouvrie Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Experiencing the same issue with the new backup system.

Is there a way to get notified on the fix? (As it's an internal case?,) I can't seem to find a publically available bugtrack system, let alone one with notification options.

As a sidestep, I created a Yahoo Pipe that spiders the changelog for said string, but Yahoo Pipes doesn't support E-mail notification anymore.

Alternatively, if you could specify the expected FTP listing output for the process, perhaps a workaround on the FTP server could be implemented in the time being.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Our change log is currently the only way to see when a resolution has been pushed out. Case 72777 is currently scheduled for inclusion with cPanel version 11.42.1, but there is no time frame for that available at this time.

Thank you.

7. bouvrie

bouvrie Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We're running version 11.44.1 (build 18) now, and still "Unable to prune transport". I guess Case 72777 is still a work-in-progress?

Any update on this?

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A resolution associated with internal case number 72777 was released with cPanel version 11.42.1.1:

Fixed case 72777: Handle some unusual FTP file listing formats.

Please open a support ticket using the link in my signature if you continue to experience the same issue so we can take a closer look.

Thank you.