The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Case 74869] WHM - Mail Queue - Delete All buttons / in the filtered search context

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by timwoolfson, Jul 19, 2013.

1. timwoolfson

timwoolfson Registered

By Mail Queue, I mean "Mail Queue Manager"
    When the mail queue is filtered by the search.
    Either the buttons delete all and deliver all should have 2 warnings.
    1. This applies to ALL the messages on the queue NOT all the messages in your filtered search.
    2. The current warning.
    Or, possibly better.
    You must clear your search before using the Delete all or Deliver all option.

When the script is running - there should be a big red STOP button!

#1 timwoolfson, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. blahnana

blahnana Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It's not just confusing, the documentation is incorrect and the interface needs to be less ambiguous.

Delete All doesn't delete all "Listed" emails, which is what you want if you have pages and pages of emails matching your search. This needs to be fixed ASAP, no "STOP" and incorrect documentation is causing problems.

If I seem to be speaking from experience, you guessed correctly.

Tristan

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have opened an internal case to correct the documentation page regarding the "Delete All" feature in the Mail Queue Manager. For reference, the internal case number is 74865. I have also opened an internal case regarding the existence of the "Deliver/Delete All" options in the results table. That case number is 74869. I will update this thread with the outcome of both cases (a feature request may be necessary for case 74869).

Thank you.

5. blahnana

blahnana Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thanks cPanelMichael, I think that will be very helpful and I look forward to the changes.

For those who get stuck in the same problem and find this thread, a workaround at the CLI level for deleting mails from an exim mail queue using a search pattern goes something like this:

exiqgrep -i -f 'address@example.com' | xargs exim -Mrm

To delete all emails from the queue with sender address@example.com. Check the options for exiqgrep before using, and using exiqgrep without the pipe will allow you to list the emails you're going to delete beforehand:

exiqgrep -f 'address@example.com'

Thanks again for the prompt reply Michael. Please feel free to delete this post if it's inappropriate for the thread.

Tristan

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would like to note that it's still possible to delete emails listed under the search results in Web Host Manager. There are options to delete or deliver the selected emails on the upper left of the results table.

Thank you.

7. blahnana

blahnana Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It is possible to delete them, but as far as I know you can only do it one page at a time using that method, Michael?

At the moment, if your queue gets out of control it can take a very long time to go through page by page performing the query and then the delete (which using the json tool takes a considerable time even on an otherwise unloaded server it seems). The GUI method is the preferred way if you have a few errant emails (and obviously is the easier and more foolproof way, my earlier comment aside), but if you get stuck with an abused email queue that you need to clear ASAP it's difficult to use the GUI tool in a meaningful way.

My apologies if I seem like I'm harping on about this, I just wanted to clearly establish what I feel are the shortcomings of the tool. In general, as a Linux admin for a very long time, I am very happy with cPanel/WHM, and I do not wish to give the impression otherwise.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I encourage you to open a feature request for the overall behavior and usability of this option via:

Submit A Feature Request

While a case is open for the documentation and usage of the "Delete/Deliver All" option, a feature request is a better way of requesting a change to the overall interface or usage.

Thank you.

9. timwoolfson

timwoolfson Registered