The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Case 87369] Need to create new installation of cPanel/WHM supporting 15-char userids - any advice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dlherrin, Jan 10, 2014.

1. dlherrin

dlherrin Registered

I am the manager of a group that offers cPanel-based web hosting services to faculty, staff, students and departments at Princeton University. Our IT organization (to which I belong) would like to move ALL University systems to a 15-character userid. My cPanel systems are the last holdouts with 8-char userids and it is becoming rather a sore point.

Based on my reading of other posts in this forum it is my understanding that this is not considered to be impossible. If anyone has some practical advice or instructions on how to create a new cPanel/WHM instance allowing 15-char userids, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you on this forum.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave Herrington
    Manager, OIT DAS

#1 dlherrin, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

cPanel version 11.40 allows the creation of accounts with usernames up to 16 characters as long as database prefixing is disabled. I did notice that I was unable to use "Modify an Account" to change a username beyond 8 characters, so I have opened an internal case to address that issue. For reference, the internal case number is 87369. I will update this thread with more information as it becomes available.

Thank you.

3. dlherrin

dlherrin Registered

Re: [Case 87369] Need to create new installation of cPanel/WHM supporting 15-char userids - any advi

Michael,

Thank you very much. We will install a new instance of cPanel version 11.4 and try it.

Dave