The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Case 93161] Horde mail issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Shane_from_UK, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Shane_from_UK

Shane_from_UK Active Member

Dear All,

I am having very strange problem, while I am accessing the webmail (Horde) using the default cPanel user name and password, I am able to send an E-mails by selecting the E-mail addresses from the drop down list but while checking the E-mails in the recipient mail box, its showing the E-mail sender my cPanel user name which is wrong, how can I correct the sender E-mail address...

In short

Use cPanel user name / password and login into the cPanel >>> Select default E-mail address from the E-mail accounts >>> Browse the Horde Webmail >>> Send E-mail using any other E-mail address >>> Check the E-mail address for sender in a recipients mails box

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    In short, you're not supposed to log into webmail as your cPanel user. You should log into webmail (http://yourdomain.com/webmail) with your email address and password.

If you want to change your outgoing settings, I believe you can do so via Horde -> Options -> Personal Information.

3. Shane_from_UK

@vanessa , thank you very much...but still I am receiving the E-mails from the cPanel default E-mail address instead of genuine E-mail address but while replying to the E-mail it showing the correct E-mail address ...

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you logging in as the email account username instead of the cPanel username and still experiencing this behavior?

Thank you.

5. Shane_from_UK

I am using cPanel user name / password and login into the cPanel >>> Select default E-mail address from the E-mail accounts >>> Browse the Horde Webmail >>> Send E-mail using any other E-mail address >>> Check the E-mail address for sender in a recipients mails box

In the past I am able to use it without any issue but now when I am sending an E-mail its showing the cPanel user name E-mail address in the recipients Inbox...

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should login as the individual email account username when sending out email. While the default cPanel account is useful if you want to receive/view incoming email for the accounts, it's advised to login as the actual email account username when sending out emails. Otherwise, remote mail servers may decide to block the email.

Thank you.

7. WindyT

WindyT Active Member

This is the first post that popped up for a search on this with Google, so perhaps this was addressed elsewhere, but...

Up to this last version of Horde update, my clients had been able to log in as root to the account and with Horde, send email from any account they wished. from sally1@mydomain.com from sally2@mydomain.com, etc.

So, I have discovered this, and have told them this is the new security update to Horde.
    *I* don't have a problem with it. But the clients were unaware, and I have to let them know. Not a deal breaker, but ya never know what sets clients off until it breaks.

8. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I can confirm this. Up until the recent update - it was possible to login to Horde with the cpanel details and send out mail from any address in the account. Now the messages are sent as cpanelusername@domain. We have sender verification enabled - which causes all mail sent this way to fail - so we are seeing a fair number of support tickets about this.

It would seem quite a lot of customers actually login to Horde with their cpanel details so they can see all their accounts in one place. We are having to tell them that they can no longer send mail when logged in this way.

Two big problems arising from this are the amount of sent mail stored in the default account - which now will not be seen when they log into the actual email accounts instead -- and the address book entries, which are associated only with the default account. We can resolve these issues with some work - but its a pain in the ass!

Personally, I think the ability to see all the accounts from Horde is a really terrible feature, not to mention a privacy issue.

9. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

A customer has just told me that they have logged into Roundcube using the cpanel login details and can see all their Email accounts from there and send from any of them without any problems.

This is news to me. I thought that this was only available in Horde.

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello

We do have an internal case open to investigate the ability to send email via Horde from an individual email account after logging in with the account username. For reference, the internal case number is 93161.

Thank you.

11. HostAdvantage

HostAdvantage Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator