The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catch All account does not work properly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by infinityws, Jun 24, 2004.

1. infinityws

infinityws Well-Known Member

I've had this problem for quite sometime.

Basically if a user using a main account tries to set the catchall to :blackhole: or :fail: all email to the box bounces.

The only way to fix this is to set the catchall to the main user account. This is flawed and shouldn't work this way.

How does one fix this?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you blackhole or fail the Default catchall alias and you still want email to the main account, then you must create a Mail account called account@domain.com (where account is the name of the main account) and POP3 login to that account. Sounds silly, but it is a quirk of cPanel.

3. knipper

knipper Well-Known Member

Another way I found was to just create a forward on the primary (default) account. For some reason mail will no longer bounce AND you'll be able to send mail from the default account as well.

I found this problem as I suddenly couldn't send any mail from a primary account... then I tried to send mail to it and sure enough it bounced.

By adding a forward, it seems to work OK.

I intentionally no longer use the first 8 digits of the domain when creating accounts. I found I was getting tons of spam addressed like that to my domains, so now when I build an account I leave of a digit or two, but still end up with 8 characters. Therefor if a spammer tries to just use the first 8 based on the domain name... it has no where to go.