The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'catch all' email forwarder - fwd to me AND bounce back as 'No such address'

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by bauhau, Sep 1, 2005.

1. bauhau

bauhau Registered

:eek: Hi,
    I am setting up my email with cPanel. I want to set the 'catch all' email forwarder -this is the one that handles mail sent to all unknown accounts at your domain,
    eg i have www.goodsite.com, and i want any mail sent to iwanttospamyou@goodsite.com, to BOTH
    1)forward it to me, just in case it's a legit email someone spelt wrong, and
    2)bounce the mail back to the sender saying 'no such account', so that if it is a spammer, they don't record a success against that email and start sending more.

-I can achieve 1 by specifying a forwarding address. It also says that if I want to forward to more than one address, separate the addresses with a comma. No worries.

-I can achieve 2 by putting ":fail: no such address here" as the forwarding address.

BUT,
    I tried putting my forwarding address, then a comma, then ":fail: no such address here",
    but that doesn't work. eg. "realperson@goodsite.com,:fail: no such address here"
    I also tried it round the other way.

Anyway, in case you haven't guessed, I would love to be able to both forward the mail, AND bounce it back to the sender.

If anyone could tell me if/how this is possible, I blow you all the kisses you like.

Any help much appreciated.
    James

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'm not aware of any way of doing that with the cPanel configuration. The main problem is doing it at the RCPT stage of the email, so you would probably have to look into a custom exim ACL or similar.

3. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

for catch-all, you need to put in the "default address" the address you want mails to be forwarded or deleted.

For the mail forwarding, you can't actually put in a few addresses seperated by comma. I have tried that before and it doesn't work. Forwarding can only allow forward to 1 account. Maybe I didn't test it properly but it didn't work for me.