Catch all inbox not catching all email

Robmobius

Registered
Oct 3, 2020
Cape Town
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
I use Mautic to send email to my list. Mautic appends each email sent with a pre-configured return address in case the email bounces. The pre configured mail box can be anything but in my case it is [email protected]

The appended return address will be different for each email sent but with the format [email protected] in the case of a bounced email.

My problem is the appended emails never arrive in the [email protected] inbox

As a workaround I tried setting the [email protected] to be a catchall address.

On testing, it catches simple email addresses like [email protected] but the more complex [email protected] emails never arrive.

Can anyone shed any light on what the issue could be?

I am running a VPS with WHM v86.0.29 and C Panel.

cPanelJamesW

Linux Technical Analyst I
Staff member
Mar 13, 2018
Houston
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Greetings!

The appended return address you're using looks to utilize "Plus Addressing", we have some great information on that here:

In short, this means that the email will be delivered to the "[email protected]" address and placed into a folder named "bounce_5f78414a9fe8d105259276", do you see any of the emails there and are you "subscribed" to this folder so that it shows up in your webmail/email client interface? More information on subscribing/unsubscribing from folders can be found here:

Additionally, if you click on "Manage" in the "Email Accounts" interface for the default mail account in the affected user's cPanel, you can disable the following option:
Code:
Automatically Create Folders.
Enable this toggle to automatically create folders when this email address receives a message that uses plus addressing. For example, the system would place a message addressed to “[email protected]” in a new folder called “plusaddress”.
which will deliver the emails to the user's inbox instead.

Thanks!