Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catch-All / Wildcard Domain

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by tui, Jul 3, 2017.

1. tui

tui Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello all,

I have been searching in forums and there are some old posts with same question but not answer, so i create this new one:

I have many domains that are pointing to our dns's but they dont have a cPanel account, the main reason that domains are ponting to our dns's is because clients do not renewed their hosting account and the account was terminated but domain still active and pointing to our dns's.

Its impossible to add all domains one by one to a "parked cpanel account" so the domain can show landing page like "this domain is free parked... this domain is not configured.... buy hosting account or anything else".

How can i achieve this? In resume, that all domains that are pointing to our dns's and do not have a cPanel account could show a landing page, like a wildcard domain park or something.

Example is easy, point any domain to wix or goddady dns's and you could see a landing page.

Thanks in advice.

2. Jcats

Jcats Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello,

This would be the default cPanel page, you can change it here:

WHM » Account Functions » Web Template Editor

Template: Default Website Page

cPanelMichael likes this.
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The previous post is correct. You can use "WHM >> Web Template Editor" to modify the template used for the default website page.

Thank you.

4. tui

tui Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @Jcats and @cPanelMichael thanks for your reply, but my question does not refer to that, its about domains (any domain) that is pointing to our dns's (cluster) but does not have a active account in any of our servers; i want to catch-all those domains (hundreds) to show a landing website...

5. Jcats

Jcats Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yeah off the top of my head I'm not really sure how that would be possible, but the default cPanel page is basically a catchall since you will only ever see that page if someone visits a domain that doesn't have a virtual host in Apache which is exactly what you are looking for.

6. tui

tui Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, yes and not @Jcats that works if you have a dns server for each hosting server (ns1 and ns2 in server 1, ns3 and ns4 in server 2 etc..) but that does not work if you have a dns cluster (dns server 1, dns server 2, dns server 3, etc..) and all hosting servers without a dns server, if you visit a domain that is pointing to your dns's cluster and it does not have a cPanel account configured in your dns cluster you get a "ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED" error. There should be a way to catch-all domains on dns cluster and configure them to a cPanel account in a server if they does not have a cPanel account in cluster, the problem is that you could not know the domain names, its impossible to park one by one and then unpark them in order to create an account in case that the client wants to create an account again..

7. Jcats

Jcats Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yeah I gotcha now, I did find:

How to configure a BIND server to catch all

but how do you terminate the accounts? What if you used the option to 'keep dns zone' while terminating the account, this way the zone remains in the cluster.

8. tui

tui Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Jcats, lets try the suggestion you found :D

The "Keep dns zone" option would work, but the accounts are terminated automatically (or by our agents) via whmcs, another problem i see using "keep dns zone" is that if a client decide to buy a new hosting package, the account could not be created because it already exists on dns cluster which implies that an server admin manually deletes the zone in cluster so that an agent can create the account from whmcs