The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caveats when using " Rearrange an Account"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mobcdi, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mobcdi

mobcdi Well-Known Member

What should I look out for when using the rearrange an account feature to move 1 account to a new disk location.

Does the site remain available during the move?
    Does the account size have any bearing on the move?
    What steps should I carry out on the account before and after the move?
    Does it work well with db driven sites?

M

2. mobcdi

mobcdi Well-Known Member

In case its useful for others. cPanel support said it

3. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    One thing to keep in mind before moving account: Look over the content in that account. Try to determine if there are any configuration files or other files that are referencing absolute paths on the server. For instance, if a configuration file [or any other file] is referencing an absolute path such as /home/username/public_html/application and you move them to a /home2 partition, that script will break and the code / configuration will need to be edited to point to the new path of /home2/username/public_html/application.

I think that's the biggest thing to be concerned about.

Other than that, size only matter as far as how long it takes to copy that data across from one partition / location to another. If you've got a 40 GB site that you are trying to re-arrange, it's going to take some time for that process to complete. This is especially true if the old partition /home and the new partition [ such as /home2 ] are on the same drive subsystem.

I think it works equally well with db driven sites and non db-driven sites. In some cases, db-driven sites might even be easier to move since the application usually doesn't rely upon absolute filesystem paths (or if it does, it's usually a single place in a configuration file where you would change the absolute filesystem path).

4. mobcdi

mobcdi Well-Known Member

Moved the account and so far so good. Thankfully there wasn't alot of absolute references to /home/ in either the files or the database which was a blessing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.