Caveats when using " Rearrange an Account"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobcdi

Jul 13, 2009
What should I look out for when using the rearrange an account feature to move 1 account to a new disk location.

Does the site remain available during the move?
Does the account size have any bearing on the move?
What steps should I carry out on the account before and after the move?
Does it work well with db driven sites?

M

mobcdi

Jul 13, 2009
In case its useful for others. cPanel support said it

"does not modify any custom configurations. It migrates the users /home directory to the new destination specified by the user. From there, it updates all of the cPanel specific user information files and the Apache configuration file to reflect the correct document root."
"cron entries specifying /home/$user/public_html/path/to/php.php and absolute paths reflecting the old path will need to be manually adjusted."

" When the re-arrange account feature goes into action, the files from /home/$username are copied to /destination/$username. At that time a symlink for that user is created in the original location, thus Apache references the symlink > follows to the new path. After the files are moved the Apache configuration is updated, and restarted thus Apache specifically looks at the new mount point for the user."

mtindor

Sep 14, 2004
inside a catfish
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
One thing to keep in mind before moving account: Look over the content in that account. Try to determine if there are any configuration files or other files that are referencing absolute paths on the server. For instance, if a configuration file [or any other file] is referencing an absolute path such as /home/username/public_html/application and you move them to a /home2 partition, that script will break and the code / configuration will need to be edited to point to the new path of /home2/username/public_html/application.

I think that's the biggest thing to be concerned about.

Other than that, size only matter as far as how long it takes to copy that data across from one partition / location to another. If you've got a 40 GB site that you are trying to re-arrange, it's going to take some time for that process to complete. This is especially true if the old partition /home and the new partition [ such as /home2 ] are on the same drive subsystem.

I think it works equally well with db driven sites and non db-driven sites. In some cases, db-driven sites might even be easier to move since the application usually doesn't rely upon absolute filesystem paths (or if it does, it's usually a single place in a configuration file where you would change the absolute filesystem path).

mobcdi

Jul 13, 2009
Moved the account and so far so good. Thankfully there wasn't alot of absolute references to /home/ in either the files or the database which was a blessing

Status
Not open for further replies.