The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ccpop fails every 8 minutes 21 second

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peoplespaces, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Peoplespaces

Peoplespaces Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have been having this problem for a day or so. ccpop will be fine for a few hours and then fail every 8 miuntes and 21 seconds for a while and them be fine again. Running latest release on servers but is happening on only one server.

There are no cron jobs we can find that may casue this.

Any suggestions?

2. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

The chksrvd daemon runs every 8-9 minutes, so that is probably doing the restarts. As for why it happens randomly, it's hard to say, other than that cppop may be overloaded and not responding when chksrvd runs it's test.

3. Def

Def Well-Known Member

having same problem on one of my servers. started early this morning. I haven't updated cPanel in a week.

WHM 9.4.0 cPanel 9.4.1-C53
    CentOS 3.1 - WHM X v3.1.0

4. Def

Def Well-Known Member

strange. seems to have righted itself.

5. belindaj

belindaj Member

This is exactly what has been happening for the past 48 hours straight on my server - which I described in another thread yesterday (I somehow missed this one the first time I searched this forum for answers two days ago).

My host has been working with me to troubleshoot the problem for two solid days now - it's STILL happening. Every 8 minutes. Round the clock. Yet the chksrv log shows that the pop service has been running the entire time, and I can verify that mail has in fact NOT been stalled during this entire two day period.

Unlike the rest of you - it has NOT righted itself on my server. We have done all package updates as of yesterday - nothing has stopped these notifications of cppop failure every 8 minutes. We have done graceful reboots within WHM as well as hard reboot from the NOC, as well as manually stopping/starting services individually in WHM. Nothing has had an effect - the 8 minute notifications continue to come into my admin email box - going on 48 hours straight now.

My server is a dual xeon 2.8 ghz, dual scsi 73 g drives, and 2G of RAM, running WHM 10.0.0 cPanel 10.0.0-R149 (RedHat Enterprise 3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0), with only 8 domains total (running flawlessly - a licensed phpauction app and a large vbulletin forum community the two largest users - both completely current with all patches and updates and working perfectly), total used space on the whole server is about 12 G. This is a dedicated server - I am the only root administrator.

Suggestions from cpanel admin would be gratefully accepted. I cannot personally open a cpanel support ticket but will request that my host do so.

More research:
    I suspect that the recent response (3/11/05) on this thread is another user also experiencing similar issues: http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=22610&highlight=cppop

#5 belindaj, Mar 18, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  6. matriarchy

matriarchy Member

I also have this annoying problem on one of my servers. My host says that cPanel is aware of the bug, but cannot fix it. True? They say they have a ticket in at cPanel. My host suggested I let it run for a few days (as if I had a choice) to see if it was a queue that would empty... but 5 days later, no. I still get a false failure message every 8 minutes or so.

I don't have the problem with another server, ordered at the same time, with a nearly identical configuration. I have jiggled with the max connection setting (suggested in another thread), to no avail.

Can someone from cPanel chime in about this? Is it a known bug you are working on?

WHM 10.1.0 cPanel 10.1.0-C76
    RedHat 9 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You would have to ask cPanel directly form the resources on their contact page.

If it is a known issue it will (should) be listed in bugzilla:
    http://bugzilla.cpanel.net

If it isn't, then create an entry.

Out of interest, have you simply tried restarting chkservd and cPanel:

service chkservd stop
    service cpanel restart
    service chkservd start

8. ickie

ickie Member

I am having the same problem, hummm. :confused: started this morning. Everything seems to work tho. I am lit up like a christmas tree.lol
    cppop
    imap
    apache
    spamd
    cpscrvd
    ftpd
    exime
    these are all lit red, everytime its gets reset
    8 minutes and red they go

#8 ickie, Jun 22, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  9. matriarchy

matriarchy Member

That is not quite the same as my issue. I just get those false warning messages every 8 minues or so... for the past 2+ months. I now routinely mass-delete them.

I have five cpanel VPS servers, all configured the same... only the one does this cppop thing. Nothing is otherwise "lit up" and everything looks and works fine. If your Server Status is lit up, I would open a ticket with your provider and get help ... it may not be this "harmless" but annoying bug. YOu may have a more serious problem and are getting REAL service warnings every 8 minutes, when chkservd runs.

My provider stays that cpanel acknowledged to them that is was a known bug that they have not solved. I upgraded from the current tree to the release tree, and it has not made a difference.