The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CentOS 3.4 or CentOS 4?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by webignition, Apr 12, 2005.

1. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I am interested in performing some hardware upgrades to the dedicated server I rent and the company from whom I rent server would prefer me to opt for renting a different higher-spec server instead of performing hardware upgrades and to tempt me they are willing to offer some free hosting time into the bargain.

As the server I rent currently runs FC2 (I admit I was underknowledged at the time!), moving to an entirely new server presents a perfect opportunity to move to a different OS.

From what I've read CentOS seems to be the OS of choice and so my question is simply this: if you had the choice of a fresh OS install, would you opt for CentOS 3.4 or CentOS 4?

My initial thought was CentOS 3.4 as it is fully supported by Cpanel. However it feels like it will not be long before CentOS 4, with SELinux disabled, will be supported by Cpanel:

From what I understand Cpanel/WHM 10.0.0-R161 is geared up to be the new stable, and when this happens some of the features in edge will slip into current and features from current will slip into release and so extrapolating this out a bit if SELinux-disabled support for CentOS 4 is present in the latest edge this will slip into the current and release versions in the foreseeable future.

Therefore it seems feasible to me that SELinux-disabled support for CentOS 4 will exist in current before too long and so opting for CentOS 4 now or in the next couple of weeks might be preferable to opting for CentOS 3.4 only to find out moments later that Cpanel supports CentOS 4.

What are everyone's thoughts on CentOS 3.4 vs CentOS 4 given this situation? Also, how nonsensical is my above thinking? It is entirely possible, as often, that I have got not only the wrong end of the stick but the wrong stick entirely.

--
    Jon

2. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you feel comfortable enuf with linux to adjust minor issues install centos v4 and then upgrade to the edge version.

Seems like each install will have a different issue but they are usually minor

Main one is exim however cpanel has a rpm for centos v4 at http://diff.cpanel.net/eximtest-4.5..._rewrite_mm2_mmmtrap_exiscan_md5pass.i386.rpm

Also another small issue I have found is the stock install , frontpage and suexec and phpsuexec will not work together. What I have found to cure this is to install Zend and recompile apache and this seems to fix that issue.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'd agree with Dave to a point. RHE4/CentOS4 is still quite new and you are likely to run into hiccups now and again. A lot depends on what you use your server for. If it is for personal or non-critical sites, then I'd be tempted with the newer OS. However, if i was for production use with paying customers, I'd go with v3.4. It's not going anywhere and has a good 4 years of full RedHat support left in it before it is EOL'd. You can also upgrade when v4 feels stable enough for production to do so.

A move away from Fedora to either version can only be a good thing ;)

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments. I was just wondering if, with limited support for CentOS 4 in the latest edge, a reliable CentOS 4/Cpanel server would not be too far off.

However if CentOS 3.4 still has four years of fun remaining then that clinches it as that leaves nothing to worry about. The sooner I leave FC behind the better!