The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CentOS 4.3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaymc, May 4, 2006.

1. jaymc

jaymc Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2005
    This is not really cpanel related, although i cant install cpanel until this is sorted...

SYSTEM = Dual Opteron 240's, 3GB ECC, 15k SCSI

Problem 1 : I have installed the system on a very fast SCSI disk to speed up MYSQL and SYSTEM process time. I have a 300GB Sata which i will be using for data. However, when i connected the SATA drive up via onboard SATA controller, CENTOS boots but for some reason boots the file system as READ ONLY.

The SCSI is connected to the board via a PCI CARD. Ive been told the SATA has a higher boot priorty because its onboard, theirfor is confusing CENT OS. the Sata drive does actually have CENTOS 4.1 isntalled on it, but i assume that since the system boots via the SCSI, it will see the SATA drive and its boot partition simply as 'DATA' on a disk, thus causing no fuss.

Can anyone enlightin me on why this is happening, and things i can run/check to find a solution to this problem

Problem 2: My motherboard has onboard SCSI. However when trying to install the OS whilst the disk was hooked up via onboard SCSI, the installation would halt with random errors. I was told this was due to a driver issue, and that the driver CENTOS was using wasnt efficient for the disk to function correctly with the SYSTEM.

So i installed the OS with the disk connected via PCI SCSI CARD, worked first time no problems. Now that i have the OS setup on the disk, i want to swap the cables over so its running from the Onboard SCSI, not the PCI CARD. I've tried but CENTOS wont boot, it gives errors. Again i think this is because it needs the LSI LOGIC drive installed with the system.

My question is, how do i install this driver into the system so that it will Boot fine via Onboard SCSI. I have no idea, ive only been using linux for 3 months so i'm a bit lost

Any help would be great, and if someone would like to assist me via SSH then I'd be made up !!