The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centos 4.5 auto update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by forlinuxsupport, May 23, 2007.

1. forlinuxsupport

forlinuxsupport Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey guys

It seems that when a new version of centos comes out (e.g. centos 4.5) cpanel automatically updates to it.

That is great, if the update is seemless. Which it has been so far !! :)

Is there any way to tell cpanel NOT to update to a new version (e.g. Centos 4.4 -> Centos 4.5)

What would happen if there was a bug in Centos 4.5 that messed up all the cpanel servers, wouldn't that thousands of us submitting tickets to get it fixed. None of us would even know it had been updated !!

Please let me know your thoughts :)

Regards
    Andy

2. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

cPanel script /scripts/sysup is responsible for it and you can disable it from WHM >> Server Configuration >> Update Config OR you can simply add exclude=kernel* in the yum.conf

3. forlinuxsupport

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

It not the kernel I'm worried about. the kernel is on the skip list anyway - cpanel does that.

what I dont want is the OS to jump versions (e.g. 4.4 -> 4.5), the same thing happened when Centos went version 4.3 to v.4 - cpanel di it automatically (and flawlessly I might add !!)

I had a look in the /etc/yum.conf and on my older boxes there is no Centos version specified - so it will keep updating the LATEST stable version of centos..

On the new system I installed a few days ago, the yum.conf specifically says centos 4.4 - so the new box will stay on version 4.4.

Regards
    Andy

4. Berbox

Berbox Well-Known Member

Mostly the software updates are not the problem, but the kernel is.

I have experience that the kernel is not on the skip list of yum. When you add it to the list it will be overwritten by the next cPanel upgrade.
    Your current kernel will be overwritten so by the next reboot it can be that your server is not booting anymore.

To prevent that your current kernel will be overwritten edit /etc/sysconfig/kernel
    change
    UPDATEDEFAULT=yes​
    to
    UPDATEDEFAULT=no​

5. forlinuxsupport

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

Please stop talking about the kernel, that's not wot I'm worried about- its o nthe skip list and that works correctly.

I want to know about the major update from one version of Centos to another :)

Regards
    Andy

6. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    echo "RPMUP=never" >> /etc/cpupdate.conf

7. aeroweb

aeroweb Well-Known Member

Our system was updated to Centos 4.5 automatically without any problems.

One thing we noticed, which we attributed to the update, is that compilers for non privileged users was originally turned off and after the update it was automatically turned on?

Our kernel was not automatically updated. Has anyone tried the new 2.6.9-55.EL kernel? Is it stable with cpanel?

8. trhosting.net

trhosting.net Well-Known Member

Centos 4.5 is not a release update. But Centos 5.x is.

Redhat releases updates periodically. Centos applies these updates to the current version. These updates are generally security updates. Upgrade from 4.4 to 4.x will not cause any problem. All packages are same version, only there is some updates. If you look to the package names, you see that, for ex. v1.1.2-1 will upgrade to v1.1.2-3 not 1.2.1-1.

I advice you not to turn off operating system updates.

9. dan223

dan223 Well-Known Member

I didn't even notice that there was an update. All went smoothly, and yes if it was an upgrade to 5.0 I think most people would be worried about doing that.

10. WindyT

WindyT Active Member

Yes. When my box updated to CentOS 4.5, some versions of Wordpress would load extremely slow. It took me a while to figure out it wasn't Wordpress at all, -- some of Apache(edit:MYSQL?) was just fine, but other parts weren't responding with the same speed. There were other glitches, but I don't know if those were related.

I came to these forums, and noticed only then that the CentOS updated, but the kernel had not, went back to my machine, updated the kernel to 2.6.9-55.EL and rebooted the machine. Instant results.

For the record, I had not at that point updated Cpanel to ver. 11. I did so later that day. No complaints.

#10 WindyT, May 23, 2007
    Last edited: May 23, 2007
  11. forlinuxsupport

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Brilliant, that is the answer I was looking for, so I will leave the updates on then :)

Thanks for everyones input :)