The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centos 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by byronm, Apr 4, 2005.

1. byronm

byronm Member

Any ETA on support? I'm looking forward to some of the updates centos has in 4 for the more modern hardware out there.

2. Pyro411

Pyro411 Active Member

I'm looking forward to this as well... but it's seeming any distro with the 2.6.x kernel isn't supported by many content managers like the current version of Cpanel.

so unfortunately that rules out the following distros that I've seen.

SuSE 9.1, 9.2, upcoming 9.3.
    RedHat Enterprise 4
    CentOS 4

*sigh* oy I want 9.2 x86_64 support. that'll make Dualie Opterons run quite nice.

3. PyRoAcIdK

PyRoAcIdK Active Member

yes centos4 support would be great, im getting a new server realllly soon and i would prefer to get centos4 rather than centos3.4.

Thanks guyz, cpanel rocks minus the bugs :D

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Well.. I put in a request many moons ago. I can understand the fact it might take a while to finish porting the software to CentOS4, but what really ticks me off is the fact that we've had no update at all as to the status. For all we know.. work hasn't even begun. If anyone cares to vote for my enhancement request, the url: http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=1931

Frankly, if one of the other panels start supporting the product before cPanel, we'll have no choice but to push that product in order to sell our own.

cPanel: All we would like is to know what is going on. Perhaps some sort of dev blog ?

On a side note, I do have a couple of boxes up with CentOS4 ( without SELinux ) and cPanel though there are many quirks. From tweak settings going blank to exim not installing ( though the fedora core 2 rpm works fine ). There are a few other minor issues, but im sure their easy enough to work around for the devs.

5. irchs

irchs Well-Known Member

I'm running CentOS 4.0

I'm running CentOS 4 on a number of servers, with SELINUX=0 in kernel parameters, and everything works absolutely perfect. Apart from an issue I have with phpMyAdmin, but I'm certain thats not CentOS 4.0 specific :)

Thanks

Jan

6. byronm

byronm Member

well, i hope to hear something official. i'm done trying to do it on my own :)

7. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

CentOS4/RHEL4 has entered beta stage in EDGE (and only edge).
    As long as SELinux is disabled it should work fine.

8. Rubas

Rubas Well-Known Member

Will cpanel support rh4 with selinux enabled in the future?

9. mrkryz

mrkryz Member

Anyone have cpanel working with Fedora Core 3 with selinux disabled? I am stuck with webmin until either FC3 or CentOS is supported or at least working.....

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yup, I got it working for a client with selinux disabled. the best way is to make sure you disable it before installing cPanel. You'll also have to install the EXIM rpm for FC2 instead of FC3 (unless it is fixed now).

11. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Just saw a post by cPanelBilly that the FC3 exim rpm should work, just have to be runnin EDGE and make sure you have run /scripts/updatenow before running:

/scripts/exim4 --latest

12. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

Probably not, SELinux is too buggy and untested at this point in time for it to fully run in a webhosting production enviroment.

13. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. Don't get me wrong, its got its place. But its purpose built to work with whats provided with RHEL / CentOS. That and, just look at the drastic changes in its policy since FC2-3-RHEL4. RHEL5 may see a better implementation, but its just still to new, IMHO anywanys.

14. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  15. Webjunkie

Webjunkie Active Member
    PartnerNOC

Anyone have a problem with CentOS 4 and the pkgacct system? I'm trying to move some accounts from server to server within the same data center and it is taking what seems like years. It should be flying -- both servers are on 100 Mbps ports on the same switch, and on the same IP block so the data is just going straight from server to server.

16. dave9000

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have been moving and backing up across the local network with no issues at all. Is it possible that the switch has the ports throttled down so there is not 100 mbit available ?

also log into one of the boxes and issue ping -R <ip of other box> and make sure the traffic is actually staying in the LAN and not going out to the net and back in.

the -R switch will give you the routing info that the traffic is taking

17. Webjunkie

Webjunkie Active Member
    PartnerNOC

Well, it is still going slow, but I managed to move 50 GB of data over about 24 hours, so better than nothing, I guess.

Is anyone having issues with CentOS 4 or RHEL 4 and Cpanel:

1) Not coming back up after reboot from command line - manual reboot required to get server to come back

2) Not bringing up virtual aliases for additional IP addresses after reboot

I haven't had these problems with the systems that were upgraded from 3.x to 4, but only with systems that were originally installed with 4.

I've had this happen with 3 different servers now, all differing hardware configurations.

18. dave9000

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    50 gig in 24 hrs is not all that bad for pkgacct across a network. Lot of factors figure in as in number of accts,types of data and amount of data

I am running 2 clean centos v4 installs and 1 RHEL v4 DNS only and not having any of those issues at all.

2 machines are 3.2 P4 with hyper-threading turned on and the RHEL is a dual 2400 athlon

Only had some minor install issues and nothing since

#18 dave9000, Apr 12, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  19. haze

haze Well-Known Member

I sort of had an issue like this last week.. I was kicking myself when i figured out what was going on. The server I was moving from, for some reason, the network interface switched 100 Mbps half duplex. I had to manually change it back to full duplex with mii-tool then start again.

No idea why it kept going to 100 half but it did. Might be worth while to check out.

20. Webjunkie

Webjunkie Active Member
    PartnerNOC

That's what ended up speeding it up. We set the ports to 100 Full and it was fast enough to be tolerable.

However, the actual speeds are still significantly less than the ~80 Mbps that should be possible over FastE, especially on large files. I can do a direct FTP between the two servers much faster than I could ever get from pkgacct.