CentOS 6 discontinued prematurely when CentOS 8 is not yet supported?!

James Sysop

Registered
Dec 6, 2017
Scotland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

We have been waiting for cPanel to support CentOS 8 before we upgrade as it is recommended to carry out a full reinstall to upgrade which is a ridiculous amount of work for a web hosting company with multiple servers.

We made this decision last year after CentOS 8 was released in September, and you had the 'On November 30, 2020, CentOS will stop supporting CentOS 6 on all systems' message on the dashboard.

This was fine, however we have received surprise 'Update Failed' emails today, stating that you have discontinued CentOS 6 and will no longer provide any updates.

I see that CentOS 7 will stop providing full updates in August. Do you really expect us to reinstall your software now and then again in three months time because you are behind in supporting CentOS 8?

When is your release date for CentOS 8 support?

Will cPanel 'work' on CentOS 8, albeit not officially endorsed yet?

Best,

James

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
This is pretty widely detailed on our announcements for example: CentOS 6 Blocking Version 88 Upgrade | cPanel

cPanel v88 is not available for CentOS 6 the options you right now are
  • Switch to CloudLInux 6
  • Move to CentOS 7 (not recommended at this point)
  • Use the LTS version of cPanel & WHM v86 until CentOS 8 is supported
Because the huge amount of changes CentOS 8 came with it is taking longer than anticipated to have ready but that is not a reason to support End Of Life software on newer versions of cPanel & WHM, which is why there are options besides move to CentOS 7 and especially why we are extending support for CloudLinux 6 to ensure that systems on newer versions of cPanel & WHM are as maintained and secured as possible.

I see that CentOS 7 will stop providing full updates in August
Per the wiki here: About/Product - CentOS Wiki they will continue receiving updates through Q4 of 2020

Per redhat full support ended last year Red Hat Enterprise Linux Life Cycle - Red Hat Customer Portal when the product entered maintenance support 1 but support for this distribution is 10 years and Maintenance support 2 doesn't end until 2024 even with that information if you look at the LifeCycle Maintenance Support 1 is not much different than full support and you wouldn't be lacking anything on existing servers using CentOS 7. See the chart below:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Life Cycle
DescriptionFull SupportMaintenance
Support 1
(RHEL 5, 6, & 7)12
Maintenance
Support (RHEL 8)13

Maintenance
Support 2
(RHEL 5, 6, & 7)12
Extended Life Phase7Extended Life Cycle Support (ELS) Add-On8Extended Update Support (EUS) Add-On8
Access to Previously Released Content through the Red Hat Customer PortalYesYesYesYesYesYes
Self-help through the Red Hat Customer PortalYesYesYesYesYesYes
Technical Support1UnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedLimited9UnlimitedUnlimited
Asynchronous Security Errata (RHSA)10 11YesYesYesNoYes8Yes8
Asynchronous Bug Fix Errata (RHBA)2 11YesYesYesNoYesYes
Minor ReleasesYesYesYesNoNoNo
Refreshed Hardware Enablement3NativeLimited4 NativeUsing VirtualizationUsing VirtualizationUsing VirtualizationUsing Virtualization
Software Enhancements5Yes6NoNoNoNoNo
Updated Installation ImagesYesYesYesNoNoNo

When is your release date for CentOS 8 support?
There is not a release date for this right now but when there is information it'll be added here first: Up Next | cPanel

Will cPanel 'work' on CentOS 8, albeit not officially endorsed yet?
Not only do I believe you're unable to install it on CentOS 8 but there are so many things changed your server would be most likely unusable if you attempted to do so.

James Sysop

Registered
Dec 6, 2017
Scotland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thank you for clearing that up, Lauren.

I am less worried about this after learning of the LTS version which can be changed to from the /scripts2/updateconf WHM page.

I will switch to LTS and hope that CentOS 8 is supported by November.

For the record, I do not believe this has been well communicated at all. The blog post you linked to recommends CentOS 7 which was released 6 years ago now and will be short lived for anyone to upgrade to it now.

Best wishes,

James