The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centos 64 bit and 32 bit problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seyhun, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Seyhun

Seyhun Member

Hi;

I want to ask some questions before i buy the the new server, i will buy 8GB ram xeon server but i have some questions..

Centos 64 bit got any problems on Cpanel ?

I ahve 4 lisance on cpanel usign them with 32 bit centos and i dont have any problem... do i have problems with centos 64 bit?

Waiting your opinions..

do i have problem on cpanel or whm with Ceonts 64 Bit ?

thanks..

2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I prefer 32-bit operating systems with cPanel. In my experience with using 64-bit OSes with cPanel there have been a lot of library dependency issues with using 64-bit versions of certain libraries or finding 64-bit versions of certain libraries. These issues may have been corrected, and probably sooner or later they will all be corrected as more and more people move to a 64-bit architecture. Admittedly it has probably been a couple of years since I last dealt with 64-bit OSes, so a lot may have changed. Just my experience tells me to stay with the tried and true OS and the OS that I am most familiar with and that is a 32-bit operating system.

However, with that being said, if you are going to be using 8GB of RAM, I believe you have to use a 64-bit operating system. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I thought 32-bit operating systems only recognized or used 4GB of RAM.

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To my knowledge, the number one issue pertained to EasyApache as the older (non-EA3) version had some rather poor logic for 64 bit systems, especially when compiling PHP 4. Most, if not all, of these issues are resolved in EasyApache 3 (although an occasional one pops up here and there).

Aside from that, the next problems come from the upgrade systems, meaning yum, up2date, etc. Some of these don't handle multi-arch in the repository very well. Thus executing something like:

Code:
    yum install foo

Will often bring in both the 64 and 32 bit version, when performed on a 64 bit system. This is where build-time problems often crop up.

4. Seyhun

Seyhun Member

We use it in general server. httpd pop3 smtp mysql..

does 64 bit have different securtiy problems than 32 bit?

if i use it for web server got some problems i mean..

like you said i think i have to use 64 bit for 8GB ram

:/

5. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

All my servers are 64bit 8gb and some 12 and 16gb ram 8 core (some for 2 years now). Other than relinking a library for memcached, I had no trouble to speak of. Performance is outstanding. I wouldn't let a simple library location discourage you, especially since you may not run into that problem at all, even on a feature rich environment.

6. Seyhun

Seyhun Member

Thank you jayh38, i really bored usign core2duo 2 gb ram machines, i want to use profesioal server hardwares, but this time this problem scared me..

you tell me, dont worry go for 64 bit right :)

7. Seyhun

Seyhun Member

What do you suggest me CentOS 5.01 64 Bit or 5.00 ?

waiting your reply :(

8. troxalias

troxalias Well-Known Member

I see no reason for you not to install the very latest stable release of your preferred OS. I have upgraded all my servers to 5.1 with no problems. I only had to reboot them for the new kernel to be loaded.

9. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

I would go for 64bit without hesitation. I wouldn't run 32bit on a production server or any server at this point.