Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

CentOS / cPanel / poor Java performance

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by fizz, Feb 27, 2011.

1. fizz

fizz Well-Known Member

Im running a dual 2.8 dual core xeon system, 16 gig ram.
    Im having trouble getting java to perform well, i run a couple minecraft servers from this box, but the cpu usage is terrible. I cant decide if its a kernel issue, but ive performed about every performance tuning tip i could find, using hugepages, and more.

Does cpanel use a custom kernel, or default centos kernel?

2. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Java not working well with CentOS is not a cPanel issue. Did you download the CentOS iso from cPanel site or did you install cPanel on a CentOS box. In the 2nd case, cPanel would not have done anything do with the kernel. Java is known to be a resource hog. Without further details, it is hard to troubleshoot or suggest a solution.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. fizz

fizz Well-Known Member

Installed cPanel on centos. Wasnt sure if they changed repos and download customer kernels and what not. Im at a loss for troubleshooting this because it should be able to handle a lot more than it is. as long as I can rule cpanel out, ill move on. I was thinking cpanel since many others run it on centos without issues.

Thank

4. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You need to continuously check server via top, sort top results for load, check 'WHM > Daily process log' etc to find causes of load. Nothing beats active monitoring along with a little investigative sense. Best of luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...