The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CentOS Scare - Don't Worry !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hostmedic, Jul 31, 2009.

1. hostmedic

hostmedic Well-Known Member

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    On the CentOS.org website there is an open Letter to the first developer and owner of the CentOS.org domain:

This has been followed up by the following

Now My Question:
    What is cPanel doing in case we all need to move to that new RPM - and server base? have you spoken to the developers to make sure that cPanel will continue to work on the CentOS or its replacement OS ?

2. MattDees

MattDees cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have been in dialog with them for the past day in a purely unofficial sense, and they have assured me that CentOS is not going anywhere. Worst case scenario is that there will be a name change w/ an updated yum repos rpm being distributed.

If you wish to discuss this with them they are usually available on irc.freenode.net #centos-social

3. Eric

Eric Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Howdy,

Look at how things went in the past. When Redhat Linux was EOL'd cPanel moved to support Fedora, and RHEL, (then later CentOS). These things happen in projects, we'll adapt and overcome (like always). :D

4. trhosting.net

trhosting.net Well-Known Member

Why cPanel still not thinking to work on Debian, Ubuntu etc.?

These distros are more stable then Redhat based distros and more usefull then Redhat based distros.
    We have at least 50 servers running on Debian, they are working smoothly but we are always having issues with Redhat based distros.

I don't understand why cPanel acts like this.

5. rachweb

rachweb Well-Known Member

I have opened an enhancement in the bugzilla of Cpanel. Bug 7473 - Debian support

I don't have heard from them about this request.
    You can vote on the request to get them more attention

6. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think part of it is also how familiar you are with the OS. We run quiet a few RH/CentOS based servers and overall they run pretty smoothly. The biggest problem is when people start modifying them or adding in different repos.

Looks like the centos issue is resolved now so no need to worry if you were:

7. z00dax

z00dax Registered

CentOS and Stability

Hi,

At no stage were the developers of CentOS going to allow the project to go away - we have taken steps to make sure of this, including backups, process and fail over plans which had been tested and tested again before going public. One of the aims of the OpenLetter was to describe the worst-case-scenario, and as they go it can never be pretty.

Also, to further reinforce the fact that the project is as stale today as its ever been, consider these facts:

a) All project assets are in the same place under the same control and management as they have been before. The issues of contention are being addressed in isolated containers, each having its own failover plan.

b) The brand equity built up around 'CentOS' is not under discussion, in that its massive, it has its user base and its stability points - which also mean, there is no effort underway to change the brand.

c) the entire infrastructure of the project is intact, under competent control, and will continue to be so.

d) The signatories of the Open Letter represent the core team, doing the work and are united, along with the community, in insuring the long term viability of the CentOS platform.

Finally, Lance did make it into the last developer meeting held on Friday Jul 31 evening, details from that are now posted at www.centos.org - The Community ENTerprise Operating System so anyone can see progress being made at resolving all outstanding issues.

--
    Karanbir Singh
    The CentOS Project

( I am a CentOS Team member, and one of the signitories to the Open Letter )

8. Eric

Eric Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm just glad it looks like things are moving forward. It's a lot easier to work things out when all sides are at least talking.