cornishman33

Jun 25, 2014
Kernow, Nr England
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,
In a weeks time I will be upgrading my CentOS web server from 6.x to7.x
The question I have is that my current WHM/cPanel are functioning perfectly, will it be safe to do a simple Backup & Restore of cPanel configs? or could I discover issues because of the upgraded Linux?
Many thanks

GOT

Get Proactive!
PartnerNOC
Apr 8, 2003
Chesapeake, VA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I would definitely not try to upgrade your centos in place. You will need to get a new server with centos 7 on it with cpanel, and use the transfer tool to move the sites over.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @cornishman33,

The supported approach is to setup a new server running CentOS 7, install cPanel & WHM (with a temporary license), and then migrate your accounts and service configurations over to it using the steps provided on the documents below:

How to Move All cPanel Accounts from One Server to Another - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation
The cpconftool Script - Version 76 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Once you've confirmed the new server is running well and the accounts were moved over successfully, you can turn off the old server.

Thank you.

Reactions: cornishman33

lorio

Feb 25, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I would definitely not try to upgrade your centos in place.
I second that. Never do a inplace upgrade (even if technically possible). Even if it is working, you would need to tweak to much stuff at once. Even if you don't have any other users on your cPanel installation, I recommend a transfer of accounts.

Reactions: cornishman33