The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centos works really *fine* with Cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Radio_Head, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Radio_Head

Radio_Head Well-Known Member

Hello

recently I upgraded my 2 servers RH 7.2 and RH 7.3 to Centos 3.1 OS (centos.org) .
    It works fine . The upgrade (thanks to Zach of lifelesspeople.com) was not a problem with RH 7.3 , while required some more work with 7.2 . The total downtime was really low , especially due to 3 or 4 reboots .

After some month running outdated RH 7.2 and RH 7.3 servers , with boring Progeny updates , and rare fedoralegacy updates , now I am really happy to have
    my 2 boxes with Centos 3.1 , running fine and updated .
    If you don't need Red Hat support , I strongly suggest Centos with Cpanel
    http://www.centos.org . Centos doesn't provide any kind of support or documentation such as red hat, but it's FREE .

Thanks again to to Zach of lifelesspeople.com .

2. erwinfa

erwinfa Well-Known Member

How many hours need to upgrade from Redhat 7.3 into CentOS 3.1 ? Do you have step by step tutorials ?

3. Radio_Head

I have no tutorial , also if I have seen some "how to" on forum (ev1 if I can remember)
    However I preferred to assign this task to a linux expert (Zach , see above).
    You can find zach on cpanel irc very often.

About 3 hours to upgrade the 7.3 (7.3 > 8.0 > 9.0 > Centos) on my P4 1.7 Ghz server with 1 GB RAM, however the system was often available during the upgrade. I think that in 3 hours the system was not available for max 30 minutes (total , no continuos) , especially due to reboots.

With the 7.2 pentium 3 1 GB ram , he had more more problems (and more downtime) , however the problems were especially due to my /usr which was 80% full before upgrading. So he had to stop and repeat the installation after he created symlinks of /usr/lib on /home .Time required to upgrade 7.2 was 5 or 6 hours , and the total downtime was 30 minutes or less . During latest step (rh 9 to centos) apache showed the test apache page for all accounts (it didn't happen upgrading 7.3) . At the end of the upgrade I needed to reinstall 3 rpms via whm , quote ,sysstat , and iptable . I also disabled apm service which was started from centos (only with 7.2 installation).

At the end all works really fine and perfect.

#3 Radio_Head, Aug 20, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  4. LP-Trel

LP-Trel Well-Known Member

I goofed the 7.2 install a bit but, the 7.3 went well. Glad to see your boxes are working well once again, that 2 year old kernel on the 7.3 box didn't suit you. ;)

5. denisdekat09

denisdekat09 Well-Known Member

Hi, thanks for the encouraging word and tale of your upgrading experience :)

I have been trying rh7.3 to rh9 and rh9 to centos on some home linux boxes and it seems pretty straight forward.

Did you really do (7.3 > 8.0 > 9.0 > Centos) ? It seems like 8 is not necessary maybe? I was able to bypass it. I used apt-get to move from 7.3 to 9. Next yum for centos...

I am planning on doing a production box soon, I also have a 7.3 though my kernel is not 2 years old :D

I am curious how the Cpanel part of the upgrade went, was that tricky at all?

6. Radio_Head

My kernel was not 2 years old , I think LifelessHost was exagerate :) , let's say 3 or 4 month old . Regarding (7.3 > 8.0 > 9.0 > Centos) I am not sure , you have to ask to
    LifelessHost .

Bye

7. dennis00

dennis00 Member

Thanks for posting! I will try CentOS too :)

8. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

Yeah thanks radio-head , will go for centOS on my next box as well !
    Been fiddling with it on my test machine and having a good old time :D

9. asmar

asmar Well-Known Member

Anyone tried to switch from Red Hat ES 3 to CentOS ?

10. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

CentOS is Redhat Enterprise 3... just with the copyrighted redhat logos removed.

Edit: ...and without Redhat support as well.

#10 dezignguy, Nov 14, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  11. Radio_Head

as of now 0 problems with centos (2 boxes).

Bye

12. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The upgrade process is easy (so long as you don't run into any issues along the way, but as long as your server is clean and working properly and fully updated BEFORE starting, you should be OK) and typically only requires a single reboot. Your server continues to function fine during the upgrade process, though slower servers might have a bit of a load issue while the upgrade is going on. As noted, CPANEL works fine with CentOS. Anyone using older unsupported RH releases should consider it.

13. iCARus

iCARus Well-Known Member

yep...CentOS rocks! We use v3.3 and everything run smoothly!

14. Ramsy

Ramsy Guest

same here .. using v3.3 works perfect :D