Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

CentOS x86_64 or i386?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nickp666, Mar 19, 2007.

1. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, before I get flamed and told to search the forums, I have done this and read every post related to it.

Having done that, I am still a little unsure which version to use, other than the known quota bug in the x86_64 version, most seem to be saying that CentOS 4.4 fixed a lot of the 64bit woes, yet some disagree with this, the idea of me posting this is to collate peoples opinions of the present state (not that of 6 months ago)

Could everyone running/did run x86_64 version of CentOS 4.4 please post experiences and possible GOTCHAS with it?

I have just purchased a new box to replace one of my FC4 servers and am trying to gauge the best release to use, I am sticking with CentOS but cant make my mind up whether to run 64bit

My New box is a Dell 1950 with 2xdual core xeon 5120's & 2GB RAM running with SAS Discs, are there any potential issues I should be looking out for?

TIA

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The main issue I come across is perl module support from cpan.org - it is getting better but every noe and again you have to do some symlinking in /usr/lib or /lib to get new perl modules to compile correctly. Thankfully most of the perl module developers seem to be taking into account the x86_64 library setup.

As for cPanel installed stuff, the main bone of contention seems to be with easyapache, but I haven't spotted any major issues in a while.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nickp666

excellent stuff, thank you

I assume mailscanner, SA & clamavmodule are ok?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yes, though the library issue can affect any application but is usually resolved quite easily.

5. nickp666

thank you for the info

6. sjoerd83

sjoerd83 Member

Im running Centos x86_64 version for a few years now. No big problems whatsover.
    had some indeed with Perl but nothing big

7. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

same here :)