The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CentOS x86_64 or i386?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nickp666, Mar 19, 2007.

1. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, before I get flamed and told to search the forums, I have done this and read every post related to it.

Having done that, I am still a little unsure which version to use, other than the known quota bug in the x86_64 version, most seem to be saying that CentOS 4.4 fixed a lot of the 64bit woes, yet some disagree with this, the idea of me posting this is to collate peoples opinions of the present state (not that of 6 months ago)

Could everyone running/did run x86_64 version of CentOS 4.4 please post experiences and possible GOTCHAS with it?

I have just purchased a new box to replace one of my FC4 servers and am trying to gauge the best release to use, I am sticking with CentOS but cant make my mind up whether to run 64bit

My New box is a Dell 1950 with 2xdual core xeon 5120's & 2GB RAM running with SAS Discs, are there any potential issues I should be looking out for?

TIA

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The main issue I come across is perl module support from cpan.org - it is getting better but every noe and again you have to do some symlinking in /usr/lib or /lib to get new perl modules to compile correctly. Thankfully most of the perl module developers seem to be taking into account the x86_64 library setup.

As for cPanel installed stuff, the main bone of contention seems to be with easyapache, but I haven't spotted any major issues in a while.

3. nickp666

excellent stuff, thank you

I assume mailscanner, SA & clamavmodule are ok?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yes, though the library issue can affect any application but is usually resolved quite easily.

5. nickp666

6. sjoerd83

sjoerd83 Member

Im running Centos x86_64 version for a few years now. No big problems whatsover.
    had some indeed with Perl but nothing big

7. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member