The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CentOS5 x64 install questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fairlylarge, Oct 14, 2007.

1. fairlylarge

fairlylarge Member

Hi there.

I'm just wondering if there's anything in particular I need to do when installing cPanel on the above OS?

I ask because previously when doing this I've noticed an awful lot of i386 packages getting installed and I just want to double check this is correct before I go ahead.

Thanks for any information/help :)

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel does not request architecture specific packages. Any that get installed are due to how YUM (et al.) works.

64 bit platforms require more RAM for running processes. cPanel itself, being a largish application, will need at least 256 MB ram available.

3. bazzi

bazzi Well-Known Member

So then the question, is it wise to install 64bit?

Or are the benivits not greater then the ram consumption?

Yust to get an idea of it is wise to run 64bit...

4. espeon

espeon Registered

Hi,

Is there any significant speed increase while processing for e.g. MySQL databases or processing PHP code?

The use of 64-bit operating system (in this case CentOS 5) may cause some issues related with packages compilation and compatibility. If any problem occurs probably it tends to get much more difficult to find a solution. Am I right?

Regards,

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To my knowledge, there are no reported speed increases moving from 32bit to 64bit. Usually, th eonly increase people report is the increased use of RAM by any application.

Build-related problems do exist for some projects (most notably building PHP4 on 64-bit). For software shipped with/by cPanel, we have worked to eliminate those issues. Usually it was merely a matter of the build tools looking in lib rather than lib64 for the proper libraries.