Pehja

Registered
Nov 10, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
I rent my VPS from a company. Now they state that CentOS will stop working after november 20. I have to change to CentOS7. This is fine except they first wanted $1400 to do this and then when i objected changed to $450. How ever, I am renting this VPS with CentOS6. Is it really up to me to do the change?

Can anyone here help me with this upgrade? I don't have the skills!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

GOT

Get Proactive!
PartnerNOC
Apr 8, 2003
Chesapeake, VA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Yes it would be on you for this. You won't be able to upgrade your existing server, you should get a new cloud server and set it up with cpanel and then use the transfer tool to move the accounts.

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Ditto what @GOT said. Currently CentOS does not support in-place upgrades. The only current option is to get a CentOS V7 server and then migrate the accounts.

Pehja

Registered
Nov 10, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Yes it would be on you for this. You won't be able to upgrade your existing server, you should get a new cloud server and set it up with cpanel and then use the transfer tool to move the accounts.
Ok, thanks. New server from the ones that I rent from. Could be interesting if they would provide me with that. If I get that. Would it be easy o use the transfer tool. Sorry for these questions but I don't have the knowledge.

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Technically, no, it will not stop working. Things like yum will stop working (they usually take the repo's down pretty quickly). cPanel, however, won't give you support on an EOL os.

Reactions: cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
We do have some guides on moving servers/migration that will be helpful for you as well:

Also, you may want to keep in mind that CentOS 8 will be supported relatively soon and you may want to consider waiting until our support for it is live to migrate. (We're hoping for early 2nd Quarter of this year)

If you're concerned about performing the migration on your own, and you'd like to see if you can get an alternate estimate you might check here: System Administration Services

Reactions: Pehja