The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Central mail account password problem?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mmx38, Aug 10, 2011.

1. mmx38

mmx38 Member

Hello everybody!

When I create an account, automatically a central mail account is created too, having as password the one that the account has.

For example:

I create the cpanel account for the domain mydomain.com with user "mydo" and password "test123"

So to login in my mail via outlook I use as username "mydo" and password "test123"

When I change the account password.. the password of the mail does not change..

What should I do?

Thank you!

PS: I understand that every extra mail account I create I have to use as username something like this "mydo@mydomain.com"

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Actually, if mydo wants an email address @mydomain.com you should create an email account, like any other email account, and his password should not be the same as the cPanel user: mydo

When setting up mydo in Outlook, he'll use mydo@mydomain.com just as any other email account.

3. mmx38

mmx38 Member

If I go to mail accounts it show me

account: mydo

usage: 635 mb

actions: access web mail

This mail account created automatically when I set up the hosting account and is catch all.

I am 1000% sure that it was working.. until I changed the password of the account..

It does not give any option to change this mail account password..

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    At the bottom of the Email Accounts page, that box titled Default Email Account there is no option to change that password you are correct. Thats because this "account" is the cPanel user. If this box shows you it has 635MB of mail in it, my guess is lots of that is spam, possibly emails from your server to that user account etc.

To test, send an email to mydo@mydomain.com the server should return that email back to you, as (and I'm assuming I'm understanding you here) there is no email account setup on that server with this email address: mydo@mydomain.com

Now, if you do not get a message similar to this:

Then what you'd want to do is, in your cPanel find the Default Address icon and click, change your setting here for sending all unrouted email for: to Discard with error to sender.

If there is no email account on your server with this email address: mmx38@mydomain.com and you send that address an email, your server will now return that email to you the sender.

If you do not change this setting, and someone sends you 635MB of spam to anynameonyourcPanelaccount@mydomain.com then your cPanel account might just accept it.

In sum, if mydo is the cPanel username, and you want him to have his own email address, you'll have to create one for him. This is not a default account you would use for anything other than to login to Webmail and manage all email accounts on the mydomain.com cPanel account, if it had some email accounts on it.

Changing your cPanel account password, changes this user login password.

5. mmx38

mmx38 Member

Thank you infopro I ll try what you said.

As you said changing cpanel account should change this mail account..

Should I be able to receive mails with outlook using this account credentials?

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    No, and that was the point of my post above:

Any time there's an issue with your cPanel account, say you run low on disk space for example, the server notifies the operating system User Name: mydo @ mydomain.com (not an email address) which should be redirected to the email you have set as the Contact Email Address for this account.

7. mmx38

mmx38 Member

Ok, I set the unrouted mails to: Discard with error to sender. Since the mails in the inbox were spam I emptied the inbox.

Result: 635 mb are now free !

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Congratulations. :)