The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Certificate error while visiting myip:2087 and myip:2083 : please help a vps newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trucmuche, Jan 26, 2015.

1. trucmuche

trucmuche Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello !

I'm a VPS newbie and I'm new under WHM&CPanel. I just received the access codes to my brand new VPS and when I visit https://93.221.46.36:2087 or :2083 (*), I get a warning telling me that the certificate is invalid.

I read around and found that I could make in WHM a self-signed SSL certificate but I read that this solution wouldn't hide definitely this warning message. Thus it's not a real good solution.

I understood that the real solution would be to buy a SSL certificate from a certificate authority.
    Can I use STARTSSL to generate a valid certificate (one-year validity but I could renew it each year) ? This is free (and I don't have much money to spend to just make a message disappear)...

Could you help me and tell me if this is a solution ?

Thank you very much for your help !!

Trucmuche

(*) I modified my real IP address ;-)

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    1. you need to force ports 2083, 2087. & 2096 to redirect to the hostname in tweak settings. IP address cant be certified by a CA
    2. the only way you are going to get rid of the error is to buy a certificate there is no way around it
    "StartSSL are Ok for things like internal use and non-customer use. They're a bit sketchy with some browsers and mobile devices

3. trucmuche

trucmuche Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you very much for your answer !!

I only want to avoid the warning message to my "customers" (which are not but this is not the topic here ;-)) when they will have to log into their CPanel frontend...

I don't care about mobile devices and my "customers" only use browsers that StartSSL supports, I checked that.

Could I simply get a certificate with StartSSL for the domain where WHM is installed ("hosting.mydomain.com") and install it inside WHM ? If I do this, will it work for :2087 (WHM) AND :2083 ports (CPanel) ?

Thanks again !!

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, assuming you have root access, you can install the certificate for your services such as cPanel/WHM via:

"WHM Home » Service Configuration » Manage Service SSL Certificates"

Note that you will still see a browser warning if you are not installing a certificate that's signed and considered trusted by the browser (StartSSL may not show up as trusted).

Thank you.

5. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Michael I am going through this exact process installing my RapidSSL Cert for the four services listed in the Manage Service SSL Certificates section of WHM. For some reason WHM is now stalled at the 'Installing' screen (main frame greyed out with the Installing box centered over it). How do I resolve this and get the Cert installed?

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator