Randem

Dec 24, 2019
Hawaii
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I am getting this error message everyday. I search for some insight but none of the answers were very clear...

The system failed to acquire a signed certificate from the cPanel Store because of the following error: Neither HTTP nor DNS DCV preflight checks succeeded!

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! There can be several different causes for that error, but usually the main problem is an issue with the DNS configuration on the domain. Does the DNS for the domain you are working with resolve to that server? I also like to use the https://intodns.com site to check for any DNS errors as well, as any odd behavior at any level of the DNS system will cause problems with AutoSSL.

If you aren't seeing any obvious DNS problems it may be best for our support team to take a look at the system for you. You can always contact us directly at tickets.cpanel.net to have our crew take a look.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
That's a good sign if there are no issues at IntoDNS. This could indicate an issue with the local server not being able to resolve DNS properly, but it would be hard for us to advise on what tests to run without sharing your private information here. It might be best to open a ticket with our support team using the link in my signature so we can check on the server and make sure things are configured properly.

Randem

Dec 24, 2019
Hawaii
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I opened a ticket and got a suggestion to create an additional "A" record for the server. I did that but got the same error message this morning... Replying to support again.

Randem

Dec 24, 2019
Hawaii
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
In my AutoSSL log I get

11:46:49 AM Analyzing “xxxxxxxx”’s domains …
11:46:49 AM Analyzing “xxxxxxxx.com” …
11:46:49 AM TLS Status: Incomplete
Certificate expiry: 9/9/20, 11:56 AM UTC (256.59 days from now)
Impediment: CERTIFICATE_IS_EXTERNALLY_SIGNED: The certificate is neither self-signed nor from AutoSSL.
11:46:49 AM SUCCESS This user’s SSL coverage is already optimal.

Could this be what the error really is? An externally signed certificate?

Randem

Dec 24, 2019
Hawaii
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
After I changed the name of the server to match the domain I have given to the server and created the "A" record for the server's name. It seems to have done the trick. The server came with a default name that was useless...

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Great - I'm glad that's working well for you now! We always recommend moving away from the default, automatically-generated hostname that some providers provide, to something that will resolve properly in DNS and is easier to use.