The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cgi 500 error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Avg-Joe, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Avg-Joe

Avg-Joe Member

Hello! I am seriously trying to fix this cgi problem. I am getting the 500 on every cgi script i try to run. I can't figure this one out.

I checked the basics: ascii, spaces in file, path to perl, etc. I checked the scriptalias and ran any program in the /scripts/ folder that I thought might have an effect. Nothing is working.

The only thing I have to go on is the error_log which states the file is "script not found or unable to stat"

I'm at a loss, but I need to fix this. I've searched this board and tried any new solution I could find. Nothing is fixing this.

Any new ideas?

2. aby

aby Well-Known Member

I hope you had already checked the permissions and the ownership. An option you can go for if nothing else is working is the recompilation of the apache . It does help sometimes. Also another thing you can try is that trying the same script on another server and see if that works.

3. Avg-Joe

Avg-Joe Member

Yes, I checked permissions and recompiled apache several times to try to fix it. It does run well on several of my other servers just to make sure I wasn't wasting my time. But like I said, none of the sgi scripts are working on this server, even the cpanel-installed ones.

I've got to be looking over something but this is a complete mystery to me

4. Avg-Joe

Avg-Joe Member

Alright, here is the error I get when running /scripts/fixcgiwrap:

chown: failed to get attributes of `/usr/local/cpanel/base/cgiwrap*': No such file or directory
    chmod: failed to get attributes of `/usr/local/cpanel/base/cgiwrap*': No such file or directory"

How can I fix this???

5. Avg-Joe

Avg-Joe Member

I'm sorry to bring this up again, but i am still looking for a solution to this issue. No matter what I do I cannot gett scripts to run inside the cgi-bin or the scgi-bin - both encounter 500 errors. I've tried several scripts now and can't get any to work. The work fine on my other servers.

THis has got me completely baffled.

6. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

"script not found or unable to stat"

that sounds to me like a permission problem, that doesnt always mean it's the permissions on the script either, it could be a directory in the path...

Check the suexec_log also...

7. Avg-Joe

Avg-Joe Member

That's just it. Suexec isn't reporting any errors. I'm not sure what to do with it . I can't get to the bottom of this.

8. domtaj

domtaj Active Member

I assume the account is CGI-access enabled ;)

ps does the script execute from shell?

9. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Yup, I would definately try and execute from shell in debug mode and see what errors are generated.

Another thought ... does the script(s) call modules that may not be installed on this server?