The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CGI problems...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oestepura, Feb 23, 2004.

1. oestepura

oestepura Registered

This is my first time on the this forum, but I am having a very large problem. I am a designer with not too much programming background, and Ive been running a password script for one of my clients that I got at www.rlaj.com. Its been working fine, but I decided to use a more advanced one from the same people, and Ive had major problems getting it installed. It kept giving me 500 internal server errors.. The only way I got the first one to work was to edit it in file manager in Cpanel, and then save it, but as I was working on this new one, I went back to the old password program and looked at it using the file editing function in cpanel, and then when I saved it again it had edited out certain sections of the code. (specifically instances where it would say something like {$form{'username'}}) Why does it delete these things, and how can I get the CGI code to work? Now none of my cgi programs function, and I cant afford to have the password section down for long...

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

The cpanel file manager isn't designed to work on cgi scripts because it alters some special characters in a way that doesn't affect most html pages, but does mess up cgi and php stuff. The script is probably messed up too much. I suggest getting a replacement and working on it in a simple text editor.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The main issue here is that you:

1. Should not use the File Manager, as mentioned

2. Always check that you upload .cgi, .pl and .pm files in ASCII mode via FTP

3. Make sure that the cgi-bin and any subdirectories that you have CGI scripts in has been CHMOD 755 nothing else.

4. Make sure that your CGI scripts have been CHMOD 755 (or 711, it's more secure).

Lastly, have a look in the Error Log in the domains cPanel immediately after getting a 500 error as it may include some vital information (or not).