The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi being served as default webpage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mtay, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Mtay

Mtay Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi, was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I've just moved hosts and moved to a dedicated server. My domain DNS is still hosted by my original host and i've modified the DNS record to point to the new external IP address of my server (78.31.xx.xx).

I've added a new domain account on cpanel on my dedicated server for my domain i'm moving over and it's assigned an internal ip address (10.0.180.xx) when i look into the local DNS zone info

When I now try and go to the domain my web browser is being redirected to www.mydomain/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi

I guess the reason for the default page is shown is due to Apache receiving a request for the domain on an IP address on which the domain is not configured, so how do I tell apache the correct internal ip address of the site?

#1 Mtay, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    wait for your domain to propagate

3. Mtay

Mtay Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    It's been 72 hours now so not that, think it must be a DNS issue but not sure, Anyone else had this?

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The DNS zones cannot use internal IPs for the domain to work. If you are using NAT, then everything else can use the internal IP, but the DNS zone must have the external IP instead. Change the DNS zone to have the right IP address for the public IP.

Of note, I do not suggest using NAT if you aren't certain how to configure it for domains to work. cPanel doesn't currently support a NAT setup (internal IP addresses translating to external ones).

5. tecsys

tecsys Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Cpanel does not work on internal IPs. You also need to check your httpd.conf and /var/named/domain.com.db. Do you have proper entries for the IPs in both files and still the domains do not work ?

6. Mtay

Mtay Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for the help. my /var/named/domain.com.db has the 'A' record pointing to my external public IP, the Httpd.conf has the <VirtualHost pointing to my internal IP> for that domain

Should both settings be pointing to my external IP?

7. pwhjenny

pwhjenny Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Indeed. Both should point to your external IP. Go to WHM and change IP of your website.

8. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is not accurate. If a customer is using a custom NAT configuration, then all configuration files except for the DNS Zone can point to the internal IP address. The DNS Zone would be the only configuration file that points to the external IP address, as Tristan mentioned previously.

Thank you.