The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cgi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unbez.com, Sep 13, 2005.

1. unbez.com

unbez.com Member

Hey guys,

Need a quick bit of advice please.

Just currently wanting to place a form on my site. The cgiemail option in my control panel doesn't work and i was just wondering what 'action' should i use.

Thanks for you help

Alex

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

This is an issue that you really should be contacting your hosting provider about.

3. unbez.com

unbez.com Member

OK thanks.

Is there anyway to get around it? I would like to learn how to do it for future reference.

Thanks

Alex

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

The action property of a form tells the form where to send the data when the form is submitted.

This can be any URL you like and so the choice of what to enter as the action of a form is entirely your own.

The question of what you would enter as the action depends on what you want to do with the data entered into a form, again something only you can really decide.

Most commonly a form will be submitted to a Perl or PHP script which will read in the data entered in the form and act on it in some way, be it sending the data via email, storing the data in a database. adding an item to a shopping cart, deleting a hosting account - practically anything.

Since I get the impression that you'd want to email the contents of a form, you'd need to get in touch with your hosting provider to check what options they present for doing so. However your best bet in the long run would be to write your own Perl or PHP scripts for form handling so that you can do precisely what you want with form data.