The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cgiemail-cgiecho -- How can I remove this terrible program

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by bmcpanel, Sep 1, 2007.

1. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

I use CSF/LFD firewall (Thank you Chirpy). It seems that anytime I get a message from LFD about an email relay alert, I check the directory and find cgiecho/cgiemail installed in the customers cgi-bin. Obviously, it has some flaws. I have 2 questions.

1. Why does cpanel still allow for this terrible script to be installed in Cpanel?

2. How can I use WHM to remove it from the available scripts. I have checked the feature manager, and there seems to be no ability to uncheck specific cgi-center scripts such as cgi-email.

I despise this script. It is an abomination.
    :mad:

Thank you.

2. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    part of the problem too is that even if you delete it from the user's cgi-bin and maybe don't even let them have a cgi-bin, you can still get to it by going to cutomerdomain.com/cgi-sys/cgiemail or customerdomain.com/cgi-sys/formmail.pl or whatever. I've recently started removing the executable bit from a few of these. I don't know if that will survive and upgrade, but we'll see.

3. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

I wish cpanel would allow it to be removed completely and not be installed unless a server admin actively installs it. It seems to me to be a bad piece of software and I can see no valid reason for cpanel to have a spam portal installed in the system cgi bin. It is maddening.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Unchecking it from Feature list gives this message when accessed.

Not enough IMHO.