The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change Accounts domain....?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by damainman, Jan 21, 2005.

1. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

I have a client that has an account with me, which supports add-on domains. Here is the problem:

A few months ago my server suffererd a DOS attack and was down a few hours. My client has a very active website, and couldn't afford to have this happen again. As a backup plan he purchased a hosting account at another host using the same domain name he was using on my server. Now since he's primary domain was at the other host, he's webmaster decided to put his account on a add-on domain on my server.

So basically when you went to his primary domain, it took you to the the website on his other host, but then redirected to his site on my server. This way if his site went down on my server, he can just take out the redirect on his primary domain.

Now after months of my server being up, he canceled his account on his other host. The only thing is now he wants his account on my server so that his add-on domain is the primary domain on the server.

So basically what would be the easiest way of solving this issue while maintaining his databases and emails?

I was thinking of leaving his account the way it is, and just set the add-on domain to redirect to his add-on domain. However I'm not sure how long he's planning to keep paying for his primary domain.

note: I read on another post, that changing the domain from WHM will mess up the databases and email accounts, etc...

Thank you in advance.

2. damainman

Can anyone assist me on this? it's urgent. Thank you in advance.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I would leave things as they are as making any changes could mess things up.

Rather than redirect his main domain to the addon domain (if that't the right way round) you could simply edit httpd.conf and find the VirtualHost directive for the main domain and change the DocumentRoot to be the same as the addon domain (or vice-versa if that's what you want to achieve). That way both domains will go to the same set of web files. Even if he doesn't want the main domain anymore, you can then still leave everything as it is.

If you do change his main domain to point to his addon domain, you obviously need to tell him to upload to the subdirectory of public_html for it and not the top level.

4. damainman

Okay, there's a slight change. Their account wasn't enabled to have a parked domain, but somehow they did it.

So their website is not on a add-on domain.. its on a parked domain.

I have two questions:

1. How can i make it so if someone goes to domain.com it changes the url in their browser to parkeddomain.com automatically?.. I'm sure this can be done with .htaccess but now sure what the code would be.

2. If I unpark the domain, so I can switch it as the primary domain.. would the email accounts associated with the parked domain be deleted? If it will, is there anyother way to do this that would prevent losing the accounts?

Thank you.