The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change Account's Ip Address

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wabun, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Wabun

Wabun Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Help, I want to move/swap a website [account] from a shared to their own IP on the same server, how to achieve this without any downtime?

I have sadly no control over their domain name, nor their domain host records, I have shorten all their DNS records on my own DNS servers to 600 seconds, but because they only use the A record I assume this was an useless exercise :-(

I am stuck with ideas how to move it without having their website going down when I swap them to a static IP.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    To be clear, you want to change the accounts IP address. Is that it?

3. Wabun

Wabun Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, you could say that, I only added account to make it more clear that it doesn't matter if it is one or 2 websites, this account is having only one website. I only mentioned it because of cPanels different naming conventions. We are talking about Accounts, Accounts have an IP assigned, but when you go to IP functions we talk about a Site's IP. So suddenly Accounts translate to Site's.... o_O:rolleyes: hmmm, does that make sense?

Your right, to make it even more confusing, there is now in WHM under Account functions, Change Site's IP address, which translates to Change a Site's IP Address, and under IP functions, Almost same wording only the 'a' is missing, but using same function in WHM it looks like, but let us not lead down the road of the way to go. :)

#3 Wabun, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    nicklas likes this.
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can use either option to change the IP address of the account. However, you must ensure the IP address is updated at the DNS host for this domain name or the website will not function. Propagation should happen nearly instantly since you are only updating the "A" record at the DNS host, and not changing the name servers.

Thank you.

5. Wabun

Wabun Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, thanks for your reply, I know how to change the IP, but I have no control over their A record, and their domain is 'set' to refresh in 24 Hours! Because it is on same server would a rewrite be possible? I know you use that function if you transfer an account across servers, then it points to the new IP, not sure how to do it when it is on same server.

I am trying to contact their current registrar, this is really one of the biggest problems we face when we have to swap to another IP and customers have no control over their domain host records because it is done by a third party.

Just hoping one day we have a function to move a website to a new IP and keep the old IP referring to the the new one till the customer has sorted his problem out.

#5 Wabun, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  6. Wabun

Wabun Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, 3rd party told me that the A record change would still need the full 24 hours to propagate as the refresh is set to 24 hours. Now I am confused as I always thought that A record changes where instant? Would some one out there be so kind to explain this in more detail to me, I can't find anything about this not even on youtube.

Is it true that you still need to wait for the full 24 hours if you change the A record pointing to the new IP?
    I always thought this was independent from my name servers ttl or any other host record?

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It should not take 24 hours, though it varies depending on if the visitor is using any sort of caching mechanism when fetching DNS records. You may want to consider switching domain name providers if this provider will not let you alter the name servers or easily change DNS records. As far as the redirect question, cPanel does not offer an option to serve content on the same domain name across multiple IP addresses, but there's documentation on this at:

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/vhosts/examples.html#twoips

Thank you.

8. Wabun

Wabun Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you very much, I will advise customer, but it seems they are tight into their registrar. Will look into the link you pasted.

kind regards,