Change cPanel Webmail URL

cmonego

Jul 10, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to change the WHM cPanel webmail address to mail.mydomain.com. Currently it is running as webmail.mydomain.com:2096, I would like to change to mail.mydomain.com:2096, is it possible?

[]'s

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

I don't recommend manually configuring the mail subdomain. Here's a quote from the cPanel 60 Release Notes regarding the mail alias and it's purpose:

Change in mail. alias behavior for Apache server
The system now automatically creates an Apache server alias for the mail. subdomain for each domain, parked domain, and addon domain (but not subdomains). This allows the mail alias to appear in the same virtual host as the parent domain. We made this change in order to simplify Mail SNI and SSL certificate management and reduce unnecessary mail client warnings.

For example, Apache will now respond to mail.example.com as an alias for example.com. However, Apache will not automatically respond to mail.subdomain.example.com as an alias for the subdomain.example.com subdomains.
That said, you mentioned using port 2096 in the URL. If that's the case, then "mail.mydomain.tld:2096" should already work to access webmail as long as "mail.mydomain.tld" resolves to an IP address added to the server.

Thank you.