The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

change e-mail address

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ozzieonline, Dec 29, 2012.

1. ozzieonline

ozzieonline Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

If I open a website on my VPS that has not been assigned yet, it shows the "not found" page.

On this "not found" page there is a link that says that the visitor has to contact the Webmaster.
    I would like to change the e-mail address that is attached to this link. However I can't get it done.

I've changed all of the e-mail addresses in Power Panel, WHM and cPanel. This doesn't help. I still see the old e-mail address.

Any ideas?

2. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What do you mean by "a website on my VPS that has not been assigned yet"?

3. ozzieonline

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I mean a website that points to the IP address of my VPS, but that is not assigned yet. There is no virtual host yet.
    Autmatically this URL is called "http://www.myunassignedsite.com/URL=/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi" and you get to see a 404 Not Found page.

On this 404 page it says "Please forward this error screen to www.myunassignedsite.com's WebMaster. ".
    The word "WebMaster" is a link to an e-mail address. I would like to change this e-mail address. I have changed all e-mail adresses in PowerPanel, WHM and cPanel, but the e-mail address stays the same.

4. Dr Ahmed

Dr Ahmed Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can change that by visiting:

Server Configuration > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup

Edit First Field of Contact Information with the email you want

I hope it is what you search about

have a nice day

5. ozzieonline

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks, but I already did that. However, I still see the old e-mail address. :confused:

6. ozzieonline

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The file that shows the e-mail address is "/usr/local/apache/htdocs/cp_errordocument.shtml"
    In this file there is a variable called "SERVER_ADMIN" that shows the e-mail address.

Strangely enough, if I show the same variable in PHP ($_SERVER['SERVER_ADMIN']) the correct e-mail address is displayed. Could it be that the "SERVER_ADMIN" in the 404 page is requested from the data of the hosting company?? (they use the old e-mail address)

[SOLVED]
    I found out the wrong e-mail address was still available in httpd.conf (although I had already restarted Apache after changing the e-mail addresses). I adjusted the e-mail address manually and now the correct e-mail address is shown. I think it has something to do with not rebuilding the templates. Anyhow... the problem seems solved for now. Thanks for your help!

#6 ozzieonline, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012