Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

change e-mail address

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by ozzieonline, Dec 29, 2012.

1. ozzieonline

ozzieonline Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

If I open a website on my VPS that has not been assigned yet, it shows the "not found" page.

On this "not found" page there is a link that says that the visitor has to contact the Webmaster.
    I would like to change the e-mail address that is attached to this link. However I can't get it done.

I've changed all of the e-mail addresses in Power Panel, WHM and cPanel. This doesn't help. I still see the old e-mail address.

Any ideas?

2. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What do you mean by "a website on my VPS that has not been assigned yet"?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ozzieonline

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I mean a website that points to the IP address of my VPS, but that is not assigned yet. There is no virtual host yet.
    Autmatically this URL is called "http://www.myunassignedsite.com/URL=/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi" and you get to see a 404 Not Found page.

On this 404 page it says "Please forward this error screen to www.myunassignedsite.com's WebMaster. ".
    The word "WebMaster" is a link to an e-mail address. I would like to change this e-mail address. I have changed all e-mail adresses in PowerPanel, WHM and cPanel, but the e-mail address stays the same.

4. Dr Ahmed

Dr Ahmed Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can change that by visiting:

Server Configuration > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup

Edit First Field of Contact Information with the email you want

I hope it is what you search about

have a nice day

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ozzieonline

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks, but I already did that. However, I still see the old e-mail address. :confused:

6. ozzieonline

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The file that shows the e-mail address is "/usr/local/apache/htdocs/cp_errordocument.shtml"
    In this file there is a variable called "SERVER_ADMIN" that shows the e-mail address.

Strangely enough, if I show the same variable in PHP ($_SERVER['SERVER_ADMIN']) the correct e-mail address is displayed. Could it be that the "SERVER_ADMIN" in the 404 page is requested from the data of the hosting company?? (they use the old e-mail address)

[SOLVED]
    I found out the wrong e-mail address was still available in httpd.conf (although I had already restarted Apache after changing the e-mail addresses). I adjusted the e-mail address manually and now the correct e-mail address is shown. I think it has something to do with not rebuilding the templates. Anyhow... the problem seems solved for now. Thanks for your help!

#6 ozzieonline, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012