Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Change email header from primary hostname to domain name?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by kishan giri, May 20, 2018.

1. kishan giri

kishan giri Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,
    Fellow users, moderators, Staff Members, Linux admins... I need some help on Email headers.
    I have tested my domain on mxtoolbox and saw smtp banner issue which I corrected after searching on cPanel Forum. Now I'm stuck on one issue. Kindly help me on this.

I have a domain = 24XXl.info with dedicated IP hosted with multiple domains with main shared ip and primary hostname= server.odeXXXXXXk.com.

I had made a test and below is the email header of it.

Code:
    Received: from [127.0.0.1] (port=34192 helo=server.odeXXXXXXk.com) by server.odeXXXXXXk.com with esmtpsa (TLSv1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:128) (Exim 4.91) (envelope-from <info@24XXl.info>) id 1fKUrc-0007e7-4O for kishXXXXXXX8@gmail.com; Mon, 21 May 2018 01:53:32 +0530
    Received: from 82.102.25.78 ([82.102.25.78]) by server.odeXXXXXXk.com (Horde Framework) with HTTPS; Sun, 20 May 2018 20:23:32 +0000
    Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 20:23:32 +0000
    Message-ID: <20180520202332.Horde.nmJyppwXsKGJtmrLUrtR5TE@server.odeXXXXXXk.com>
    To: kishXXXXXXXX8@gmail.com
    Subject: need to check now 1:52
    User-Agent: Horde Application Framework 5
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed; DelSp=Yes
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Disposition: inline
    X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
    X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - server.odeXXXXXXk.com
    X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - gmail.com
    X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [47 12] / [47 12]
    X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - 24XXl.info
    X-Get-Message-Sender-Via: server.odeXXXXXXk.com: authenticated_id: info@24XXl.info
    X-Authenticated-Sender: server.odeXXXXXXXk.com: info@24XXl.info
    X-Source:
    X-Source-Args:
    X-Source-Dir: 
    What I want to do is to change on email header is to use My domain name = 24xxl.info or server.24XXl.info(PTR set to this) instead of server hostname = server.odeXXXXXXk.com in messageid , X-AntiAbuse, X-Get-Message-Sender-Via & X-Authenticated-Sender and also in other parts..
    Code:
    Received: from [127.0.0.1] (port=34192helo=server.odeXXXXXXk.com) by server.odeXXXXXXk.com

Received: from 82.102.xx.xx ([82.102.xx.xx]) by server.odeXXXXXXk.com (Horde Framework)

Can anyone please help me to set this .. I do not wish to use shared / main IP-address/hostname on my email header as it is being used by many domains.

NOTE: Server is VPS with root access so can edit any code if needed.

Thanks & Regards
    Kishan Giri

#1 kishan giri, May 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2018
  2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,
    By default when main shared IP is queried, the hostname if going to be recalled. If you do not wish to get this, you can use dedicated IP for your domain and it will query the dedicated IP and your domain name in the SMTP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kishan giri

kishan giri Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have already changed the Exim configuration to use Dedicated IP instead of main ip ...
    Problem is the header showing main hostname and I want to change it to sending domain

Thanks & Regards
    Kishan Giri

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello @kishan giri

Setting the following will change the mailhelo to the domain (or whatever you set it to)

WHM>>Service Configuration>>Exim Configuration Manager

Reference /etc/mailhelo for outgoing SMTP HELO
    Reference /etc/mailips for outgoing SMTP connections

since you have the PTR set to the domain name, setting the mailhelo to the domain should resolve any mismatch issues. I will point out that you may still receive errors if the PTR isn't a valid hostname like server.domain.tld

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...