The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

change email pass remotely

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by madbadger, Jan 6, 2006.

1. madbadger

madbadger Registered

Jan 6, 2006
    Not sure which topic to put this under so appologies if it's in the wrong place.

I'll try an keep it brief:

I have a site which I am developing for Once complete I will be moving the site to a new host who is using cPanel. Unfortunately they seem unable to help with this problem.

The site has a user section (committee centre). Each member will be given a email address and I want them to use their email account details to login to the committee centre. This is to keep it simple for the users, but also allows them to login to there webmail account simply by clicking a button (it passes the username and password to mail login script (third party, not those supplied with cPanel)).

This gives me a small problem. If a user changes their email account password it needs to be updated in the database on my site aswell as on the cPanel server. It would therefore be more practical to have the password script within committee centre.

My question is this:

Is it possible to interact with the email_passwd.cgi script remotely (i.e. from rather than logging into the default webmail system?

Alternatively, is there another script which I am not aware of which allows you to do this?

I have tried accessing email_passwd.cgi using fopen, include and fsockopen with php but have not had much luck. If anyone has managed to this could you please give me some tips on how it was achieved.

Any help with this will be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

p.s. I need to get a response from the cPanel script so I know the request was successful before updating the local db.
  2. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2004
    IIRC you will need to generate a Remote Access Key to access anything in WHM/cPanel remotely and include it in the script that is trying to knock on the door. ;)

In WHM Cluster /Remote Access>>Setup Remote Access Key