Change eximstats_spam_check in crontab

ruiz

Feb 13, 2008
Hello,
I want to change the amount of time cpanel runs eximstats_spam_check in crontab from every 15 minutes to something like every 5 or 2 minutes. Can i just change it in crontab? Or will it be overwritten by cpanel?

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello @ruiz,

You can modify the times at which the cron job runs, but it's not recommended and may not make a difference due to the limits configured in the script itself:

# MAXIMUM_RUN_TIME - sets the maximum duration in seconds before
# gunning the query and putting an alert in the system
# error log
# SPAM_TIME - sets the span in seconds that we care about--how
# recently must the messages must have been sent to be
# considered spam

my $MAXIMUM_RUN_TIME = 3 * 60;
my $SPAM_TIME = 60 * 60;
Is there a specific concern you are attempting to address by increasing the frequency at which the cron runs?

Thank you.

ruiz

Feb 13, 2008
Hello @ruiz,

Is there a specific concern you are attempting to address by increasing the frequency at which the cron runs?

Thank you.
Yes! I'm using this e-mail to trigger a account suspension via API. However, since it is triggered only every 15 minutes, most of times the user had already sent the domain limit of e-mails. I want to suspend the account as soon as possible.

By the way, that "account suspension when spam is detected" would be a nice addition to a future version of cPanel.

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Yes! I'm using this e-mail to trigger a account suspension via API. However, since it is triggered only every 15 minutes, most of times the user had already sent the domain limit of e-mails. I want to suspend the account as soon as possible.
Hello,

One alternative to consider for this purpose is to enable a limit on the maximum number of emails sent per hour. We document how to do this at:

How to Set Email Send Limits - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

This would help limit the total number of SPAM emails sent until the eximstats_spam_check cron job runs and suspends the email user.

By the way, that "account suspension when spam is detected" would be a nice addition to a future version of cPanel.
I encourage you to submit a feature request if you'd like to see a native way to do this in the product (as opposed to using our API):

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.