The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change helo in /etc/mailhelo permanently

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by altinix, Jan 24, 2017.

1. altinix

altinix Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Recently we made a change to our WHM in which every domain/account with static IP addresses to use its own IP address for sending emails. helo/smtp banner. (which was achieved by editing the exim.conf using the Advanced Editor to be permanently saved ). All the other domains use the shared IP for sending emails.
    Now, for one of the domains, I want to change the helo, to match the PTR and forward DNS for that domain; On /etc/mailhelo it is displayed as:
    example.com: example.com
    but I want it to be:
    example.com: mail.example.com
    I can change them manually but it gets overwritten everytime cpanel updates.
    Is there any workaround to change only this line permanently?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

If you enable the Send mail from account's dedicated IP address setting in the Basic Editor section of WHM's Exim Configuration Manager interface (Home >> Service Configuration >> Exim Configuration Manager), the system will overwrite any manual changes that you subsequently make to the /etc/mailhelo and /etc/mailips files. This is documented at:

How to Configure the Exim Outgoing IP Address - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

There's also a thread here you may find helpful:

SOLVED - Easy FIX your SMTP banner, SMTP greeting and Reverse DNS for Dedicated IPs

Thank you.