The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change in main MX records affect other users?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by peter-wetink, Sep 25, 2015.

1. peter-wetink

peter-wetink Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi everyone,

I am running a dedicated server that has our main website ($domain.com) along with a large number of other clients on it. $lin1.domain.com is our WHM hostname

For various reasons I am looking to switch $domain.com to using Google Apps for our emails, however we still have a number of legacy clients who still rely on our server for their email system.

I was wondering if there would be any problem when I change the mx records for $domain.com to those of Googles? Some of the clients are set up to use mail.$domain.com as their incoming and outgoing mail server in their settings.

Would this mean they would be trying to use Google Apps when they try to send/receive? Or would the system still want to route their emails through our server?

Any assistance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated!

2. Jcats

Jcats Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello,

If you are only changing the MX records for that domain, it will not affect the other domains since they are simply using mail.$domain.com which will still resolve to your server as long as you do not change that to resolve to Google. Your clients domains each have their own MX records which would be untouched so any email sent to that domain will still be using the current MX records for that domain, not your servers domain. So to clarify, if your customers are using mail.$domain.com for incoming/outgoing host, as long as mail.$domain.com still resolves to your server you are good to go.

3. peter-wetink

peter-wetink Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the reply, MX records are still a little mysterious to me but this makes things a little clearer!

4. Jcats

Jcats Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    MX stands for mail exchanger. Each domain that uses email has at least one MX record. So basically when someone sends an email to a domain, the DNS gets queried for any MX record, to not complicate things you can have more than one MX record with different priorities, but all in all, whatever that MX record is set to, is where the email will be delivered to. As long as the MX record is set to a valid mail server, you shall have your email, in most cases ;) Hope that helps a bit more.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, as mentioned, changing the MX records for a domain name does not alter the MX records for other domain names on the system. Mail will still function for the other domain names as long as you do not change the "A" record for the "mail" entry.

Thank you.