The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change Mail Client Configuration

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by webtoastmedia, Sep 17, 2007.

1. webtoastmedia

webtoastmedia Registered

How can I change the Mail Client Configuration? I would like to modify the outgoing SMTP port from port 25 to port 26 on both the auto config for all types (outlook, outlook express, mac mail) and the manual settings.

2. gkgcpanel

gkgcpanel Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Anyone???

Is there a way to do this or not???

3. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

I don't think that you will be able to do so as it requires modifying the cPanel scripts and that is not recommended because each cPanel updates override those scripts and source files.

4. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well this is messed up! When customers click on Auto-Configuration, at the bottom of the screen, there are "Manual Settings".

For Outgoing Mail Server, it lists two options:

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.customer.com (server requires authentication) port 9999
    Outgoing Mail Server: (SSL) www5.server.com (server requires authentication) port 465

It is true that I run an "alternate" SMTP on 9999, for those using ISPs that block 25. But why is cPanel showing that as the primary choice, and not even offering the use of good ole port 25 ?

I had a customer bring this to my attention... he thought that we were forcing all customers to use port 9999 !

- Scott

5. DomineauX

DomineauX Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have to necro this thread as having the SMTP port displayed for manual configuration showing only the alternate SMTP port is really confusing to clients. We enable exim on port 26 as an alternative for users who are prevented from using port 25 by their ISP.

Ideally the listing of details should be like:

Manual Settings
    Mail Server Username: user+domain.tld
    Incoming Mail Server: mail.domain.tld
    Incoming Mail Server: (SSL) hostname.domain.tld
    Outgoing Mail Server: mail.domain.tld (server requires authentication) port 25 or 26 (if your ISP blocks port 25)
    Outgoing Mail Server: (SSL) hostname.domain.tld (server requires authentication) port 465
    Supported Incoming Mail Protocols: POP3, POP3S (SSL/TLS), IMAP, IMAPS (SSL/TLS)
    Supported Outgoing Mail Protocols: SMTP, SMTPS (SSL/TLS)

6. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    To help bring more attention to the idea of enhancing the current manual settings information for mail client configuration, I would consider posting this as a feature request, such as one requesting the ability to have the mail client configuration manual settings list multiple or all available ports for the outgoing mail server (Exim), such as those that are actively configured by the Exim directive "daemon_smtp_ports". Your ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

For reference and quick-access, here is our official feature requests forums area:
    Feature Requests for cPanel and WHM - cPanel Forums

#6 cPanelDon, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  7. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    DomineauX, if you create a feature request, please post a link to it, so that I can give my support for the idea.

- Scott