The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

change Main Shared Virtual Host IP (not working)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by boatdesign, Mar 3, 2010.

1. boatdesign

boatdesign Well-Known Member

I'm wanting to change the Main Shared Virtual Host IP.
    I have one account setup on the previous main IP. This IP will still be present on the server, but not used for namebased hosting in the future.
    Under setup, I changed the Main Shared Virtual Host IP from x.x.x.x to y.y.y.y
    I restarted cpanel
    I rebuilt the ip pool
    However, when I go to Change Site's IP Address the dropdown still shows x.x.x.x (main shared ip) and not the new y.y.y.y that shows under Basic cPanel/WHM Setup.
    Rebooted server even, and same thing.

Any ideas?

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

Please make sure that the IP address has been changed in your resolv.conf file.

3. boatdesign

Thanks, but my /etc/resolv.conf doesn't contain a reference to either the server's hostname or to the new IP I wan't to use as the namebased hosting IP. It only contains the two nameserver lines for the resolvers. Do I misunderstand?

4. boatdesign

Or do you mean the dropdown list is pulling the main shared IP from the hostname in /etc/hosts or ? instead of the IP entered under setup ->Main Shared Virtual Host IP?

Does the Main Shared Virtual Host IP have to = the server's hostname?

5. boatdesign

OK, very strange. Before I posted I even rebooted the server with no change. However, now, after reading the forums and searching for an hour, I took another look with no changes on the server, no further reboots or any manual intervention, and now when I click "Change a Site's IP", select the site, and get the dropdown, the dropdown shows the new y.y.y.y (main shared ip). I have no idea where the delay came from in that page taking a bit to update from x.x.x.x to y.y.y.y as the main IP.

6. anth2k1

anth2k1 Member

We had this exact same problem earlier in the year and it continues to this day everytime we do a migration. I opened up a ticket with them in February but they weren't able to replicate it because they kept wanting to login, but by the time they logged in, it fixed itself. It's a pain because we have to wait anywhere from 20-60 minutes to have that IP turned to shared.

The odd part is we tried running upcp, upcp --force, rebuilt httpd conf, rebuilt ip address pool, restarted cpanel, logged in and out, different browsers, created a new account, anything and everything to trigger it to update, but nothing.

cPanel devs, to replicate this:
    1. Transfer 2 or more accounts to a fresh server. These accounts by default will be created on the shared IP.
    2. Add a new IP address.
    3. Go into Basic Setup and change the shared IP to that newly added IP address.
    4. Now try to change those site's IP address to the new shared IP, and it continues to treat it as a dedicated IP.

You will notice that any NEW accounts will create fine on the new shared IP. But any existing accounts won't have the ability to select the new shared IP.
    Then after waiting an unknown amount of time, it will be selectable again.

We are running Release.

7. jestemradek

jestemradek Registered

Hello.

I changed server IP and I have a problem.

I set new IP in:
    1. Main >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel/WHM Setup >> Main Shared Virtual Host IP
    2. Main >> Account Functions >> Change Site's IP Address

... but my site doesn't work.
    I see only such information that you see in the attachment.

Attached Files:

8. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Same issue here with changing the shared IP. It still shows up as a dedicated or non-shared. Tried everything included booting but still the same.

running Freebsd 8.0 on very latest CURRENT
    :mad:

9. jestemradek

jestemradek Registered

After domain propagation, try clean web browser cache. It's helps me.

10. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

No, that's not it. I can try this from different computers and get same results.

I had it as (these are not the real IP's) 123.123.123.111 and change it to 123.123.123.222 and it shows the new ip in the Basic cPanel/WHM Setup "Main Shared Virtual Host IP" but when I go to set the IP to that new shared one in "change a sites IP" or whatever, it shows the main system IP as shared (even though its set as a reserved IP) and I cannot change it to the correct new IP.

If I could manually locate the file or setting I would change it that way, something is wrong with WHM to be doing this.

11. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Having just had this myself, it seemed to be caused by /root/.cpanel - simply renaming this directory fixed the problem.