The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change MX but still receive email?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by kempes, May 27, 2007.

1. kempes

kempes Active Member

Hi,

I've got a client who want to transfer their emails to other server but still has their website on our server. So, I changed (through WHM) their MX to the new hostname.

Then, if I send an email to them (from gmail.com), the email will deliver to the new server. This is good.

However, if I send email from an account (different domain name) on the same old server, the email still go to my client email account on the old server. Is this normal? Should it go their new server?

(I have eliminated the MX references to old server.)

Any help is very much appreciated.

(sorry for my bad english).

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Hello,

This issue has been discussed several times in this forums.

If you want to have a domains email to work from a different server other than the one the domain is hosted on, you need to change the MX record for the domain to the HOSTNAME (not the IP) of the mail server (the change which you already did).

Second thing, you need to remove the domain name entry from the /etc/localdomains file and have to add it to /etc/remotedomains.

Make sure you have made the second specified change and if the problem still there, let us know.

Thanks.

3. electric

electric Well-Known Member

I believe this step is done automatically by cpanel if you use the "Change MX Record" in either WHM or the user's cpanel.

Anyone from cpanel want to verify?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It does do that if you use that option in the cPanel UI. You have to do it yourself if you modify the zone file directly.