The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change my hostname?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by br3ach, Jul 29, 2004.

1. br3ach

br3ach Active Member

Hi

I am wondering if it will cause any problems if I cahnge my server hostname?

What else would I have to change to get the name changed?

It is currently set to

xxxxxxxx1.xxxxxxx.co.uk

if I want this as something else I can change it in edit setup, but is this going to cause anything else to stop working?

Cheers

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It shouldn't cause any problems. Make sure that you have a DNS entry for the new hostname before you configure it in WHM.

3. azn_romeo_4u

azn_romeo_4u Active Member

Can I ask, what is a hostname?

"* Enter the hostname of the primary nameserver (normally, the name of this server) you wish to use when creating new domains or subdomains."

On whm, when it ask that, what does that mean? Can I pick any nameserver I want? I mean any nameserver? Like out of the blue? Or does something have to happen?

4. azn_romeo_4u

azn_romeo_4u Active Member

I'm quite confuse on what is the hostname.

"It is important to choose a hostname that you will not be using for any account. You should choose something that will be socially accpetable, as it will appear in all mail headers. Your hostname must be a FQDN. In english, A hostname should consist of a name and a domain name. All valid hostnames should have 2 dots in them. Hostnames should never begin with "www". "

On the page where it says the above, so the host name is basically a domain name? And the domain name can be rigister by any rigistra?

5. RAIS2

RAIS2 Well-Known Member

Here is an example Hostname:

whatever.domain.com

The Hostname is like the name of the server. It shouldn't be created as an account on the server, as it is the main name for the server. It can be used to uniquely identify your server ( ie mail headers )

Here are some of the ways you will see the Hostname ( as admin ):

In a web browser:
    http://whatever.domain.com:2086 - which is the WHM for the server ( WHM can also be accessed other ways )

In an SSH client
    root@whatever [~]# - which is the command line while connected to the server

Hope That Helps.

6. KMK Enterprises

KMK Enterprises Well-Known Member

Yes, you start by purchasing a domain name from a registrar: domain.com

You make it a hostname in WHM, by adding something (besides www) in front of it: whatever.domain.com - example: server.domain.com

No. Nameservers also start with a registered domain name. You can't just make them up. You can however, use the same domain name you used for your hostname. Nameserver examples: ns1.domain.com or dns1.domain.com. A domain which will be used as a nameserver, requires special information to be added to the registration records at your registrar. This information is sometimes called host records, or domain server records - it differs with different registrars. These records contain the names you will be calling your nameservers (ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com) and the IP addresses you assign to your nameservers.

7. t9clkclnr

t9clkclnr Well-Known Member

does it matter if...

does it matter if I've changed the primary and secondary dns's for the server if I still have those original dns's listed as valid DNS's in "Manage Nameserver IP's".

example:

I've had this:
    ns1.domain1.com < set as primary
    ns2.domain1.com < set as secondary

and I've added these:
    ns1.domain2.com < want to make primary
    ns2.domain2.com < want to make secondary

now in WHM primary & secondary nameservers I want to change ns1.domain1.com & ns2.domain1.com both to the "domain2" DNS's.

I assume that since I'm not removing the original ns1 & ns2 from the server that no sites would go down, nor need to have their DNS's updated at their respective registrars..

8. Vatoloco

Vatoloco Well-Known Member

Changing Hostname

Here's the guide I've always used to make sure my hostname is changed correctly:

http://forums.ev1servers.net/showthread.php?threadid=22882

9. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

You are missing one of the most important steps. You need to have your datacenter setup the reverse IP for your new server name. If not, some people block your email, etc., etc.

So your main IP address will directly resolve to your hostname and your hostname will directly resolve to your ip. Otherwise it is called an mismatch which is not good.

10. digitard

digitard Well-Known Member

Yeah,
    I had the same issue.

I originally named my box server1.website.com ... after realizing I no longer wanted people to know they were on 'box1', 'box2', etc instead just a specificly named box I had to go through the steps listed above and change everything and then go into my hosts control panel and reset my info with them too to re-route everything.

It was tedious... but it worked in the longrun.